Vol. 6: Chapter 2.1 - The Paper Shuffle

"Look at those serious faces. You're looking more and more like Class A," Chabashira-sensei smirked as she walked inside the classroom.

"I think any class would look nervous if their exam results are about to be announced, Sae-chan-sensei." Ike's remarks earned some anxious nods of agreement from the class.

"And we are Class A." Yamauchi's remarks earned some proud nods of agreement from the class.

"I suppose that's true," she replied. "The same rules were applied, just like your midterm and final exams during the first semester. The calculated average score of all four classes will be divided by two and determine your passing grade."

"What's the passing grade this time, Sensei?" asked Hondou.

"I'm guessing it's 40 again," commented Miyamoto.

Back during the midterms of the first semester, the passing grade was 42 points. This was due to the per-class average score being around 83 points. In the individual class average rankings, our class took the top, surpassing even Sakayanagi's class, but that's because of the strategy we used. However, the true gap in our classes' academic abilities was revealed during the final exam. The per-class average score decreased to around 80 points, and our passing grade was only 40 points which was a good thing for those who tried to avoid getting expelled. However, we ranked third behind Ichinose's Class C, and we were head-to-head with Ryuuen's Class D, barely beating them. It's not explicitly announced like special exam results, but our class average rankings affect how many class points we gain after written exams.

This time, for the midterms of the second semester, things didn't really change. Sakayanagi's class took the lead as usual with Ichinose's class following behind them. We were in third place, right in front of Ryuuen's Class D. It didn't look good considering we were Class A, but that's just the reality of things. The class won't suddenly become as competent in academics as the original Class A after one semester.

"You're right, Miyamoto. The passing grade hadn't changed since last semester's final exam. Anyone who scores below 40 points in any subject will be expelled. The bonuses and penalties from the sports festival have also taken effect. If anyone's score exceeded one hundred points, then the school will just treat them as having achieved a perfect score," Chabashira-sensei explained. 

Ijuuin and Professor wore stiff expressions. Ike, Yamauchi, and the other unathletic students were the same. As the ones who had the worst results, they were bound to get hit by the penalty.

"Good thing we only needed to pay some private points..." sighed Ike.

According to the rules, you'll have to pay 1000 private points after placing last in an individual competition. Ike and the others' exam scores weren't touched since they had more than enough private points to pay for the penalties. However, this won't apply to someone like Professor. 

Ten worst-scoring students were chosen for each year. Four of them came from our class, Class A, three from Sakayanagi's Class B, two from Ichinose's Class C, and only one student from Ryuuen's Class D. Professor was one of them, so he needed to score ten points higher in each subject just to compensate for the deductions. The others were Ijuuin, Airi, and Inogashira. 

Airi could've scored enough points in the sports festival to survive, but her injury sealed the deal. She worked extra hard for her studies because of it.

"This is quite troublesome for you, Professor." Ijuuin showed his concern. As someone who scores highly during exams, he didn't have to worry as much as the others.

"Indeed, Wataru-dono... I don't think I failed in any subject, but it is nerve-wracking."

Chabashira-sensei posted the results on the board as we watched with bated breath.