Vol. 5: Chapter 4.3 - To Prevent a Disaster

"So that was your issue, huh...? I'm surprised you're not that stressed about anyone right now," I said.

"Oh, I am! But I'm somehow managing it. I guess it's not as bad as before. During elementary and middle school, my peers were a lot more unreasonable because we were young. For the most part, I can brush off the perverts and immature ones with a simple sigh. Some of them still get on my nerves, though."

Kikyou will be a reliable ally for the rest of my days here, so the recordings I have against her have lost most of their value now. In fact, they might become a liability if an enemy gets a hold of them. It's better to keep them somewhere safer, or maybe just get rid of them entirely.

"I see. You can talk about them later."

Kikyou and I started walking back to the grounds but...

"Kukuku... Ahh, man, that sure was something."

A man intercepted our return with a malicious smile on his face. It was none other than Class D's dictator, Ryuuen Kakeru.

If he'd been staying right where he's at, the possibility of him eavesdropping on our conversation earlier was very high. Kikyou's expression turned serious for a brief second, but she immediately switched gears.

"Oh, hi! What are you doing here, Ryuuen-kun?" she asked.

"Keh, drop it, Kikyou. The way you're acting is laughable now that I know who you truly are," he said.

Kikyou probably expected those words, so she didn't try to force her angelic act. She immediately dropped her smile and glared at him.

"Hehh... So you heard everything, huh?" Her voice turned deep and the look in her eyes darkened.

"Ohh-! That's it! That's what I'd like to see. I knew you were rotten in some way or form. This is really interesting."

"Answer my question," she insisted.

"You don't get to decide that." Ryuuen looked at his right hand as it shook lightly inside his pocket. His smile widened as Kikyou started to look more shaken.

"You recorded our conversation...? How dare you..." Her fists were clenched, but she couldn't say any more.

"Kukuku, don't you worry now. I don't plan on exposing you or anything. Trust me, I really want to, but the guy beside you wouldn't let me act as I please. At least, not right now."

"What are you planning, then?" I asked.

"You could probably guess that already, Ayanokouji."

"You're not going to expose me? Then what did you record us for?"

"I can answer that, but I'd like to propose something first." Ryuuen's smile widened as he looked at the two of us. "Join me, Kikyou. I don't know your past, and I'm not interested either. Ayanokouji and Suzune know about it, so you want to get rid of them, right? I'll help if you join forces with me."

"Huh? You eavesdropped on us, didn't you? I clearly said that I won't betray Kiyotaka-kun."

"Hehe, think about it. You can get rid of the only two people who know about your past. Isn't that your main goal?"

"Drop it. I won't join the likes of you." Kikyou rejected him without hesitation. "Now that I've responded to your 'proposal', answer my question already. From the way you worded it, it doesn't look like you'll use that recording as leverage to make me join you."

"I certainly can, but it's not the right move. You have two main weaknesses that you're currently hiding, Kikyou. One is your true nature, and one is your past. What I've recorded right here is only about your true nature. Exposing it wouldn't destroy you completely. However, it would've been different if it was your past. Am I right?"