Vol. 4.5: Chapter 11.4 - Unclear Path

"So that was your first ever fortune-telling experience?" I asked.

"Yes. The same goes for you, correct?"

"Yep. It was interesting, for sure. How was it for you?"

"Honestly, my knowledge in fortune-telling is limited to what I've seen in morning television shows. I have to admit that I was fairly impressed and satisfied with what I've heard."

Ukon-sensei's predictions for Horikita were strangely germane to her current life. I can see why she'd be impressed. But then again, Horikita's natural attitude made it easier for good cold-readers to guess her personality. With that information, they can make educated predictions based on their judgment.

The same goes for mine...

"I see. Well, you've saved me from quite a bit of trouble. Let me treat you for lunch."

"You're well aware that I have more points than you, right?"

"Yeah, but I have more than enough to pay for two expensive lunches. And besides, you're the class leader. You ought to save your points in case of emergency."

Horikita fixed her sling bag before replying.

"I guess you have a point."

On September 1st, which was also Hirata's birthday, every student finally received their monthly allowance. Class A, our class, got 121,200 private points following our recent promotion. Everyone rejoiced. It's an amount of money that no normal student wouldn't have access to. 

Right now, my 405,885 points should be more than enough to go by.

Horikita and I ate in one of the few gourmet restaurants found in Keyaki Mall instead of a fast-food chain. With a total of 15,000 points, our lunch was much more akin to that of a feast. As elegant as Horikita was, her appetite was still apparent considering how she cleanly finished her portion... not that I'm one to talk. The whole fortune-telling ordeal really put a strain on our stomachs-- but it was mostly the waiting line.

"Well then." Horikita nodded slightly right before the elevator gate opened on the dorm's 4th floor. "Thank you for inviting me out today, regardless of your reasons."

"I should be the one thanking you."

"I had fun. You also treated me to a nice restaurant." She smiled, albeit very slightly. "I'll be contacting you and the rest of the class regarding the point rewards. Hirata-kun and I will be receiving them tomorrow."

"Sure. See you around before summer ends, leader," I teased.

"Don't call me that, former leader." Of course, Horikita didn't waste any time in countering back.

I got out of the elevator car as the conversation ended. The two of us exchanged minuscule grins towards each other before the gate closed itself. I thought about our first encounters back in April.

She's grown quite far from her former unpolished self. It's only a matter of time before she becomes a formidable leader. I'm looking forward to your future endeavors, Horikita.

--endeavors paved from defeat.