Vol. 6: Chapter 5.2 - Weakness and Detriment

"Hooray! Kiyopon's going to help in teaching us today!"

"I don't think I'd be that much help at this point. I'm sure Yukimura has done a good job with tutoring you guys," I said.

"Well, yeah. I actually found it really easy to understand," nodded Ken.

Some steps behind us were Akito and Airi who chatted with Professor and Ijuuin as our group walked to the library. It was time for the Ayanokouji Group's fourth study session. Next week would be the last, and after that, none of the groups are no longer required to study with their group mates. That said, I'm sure we're all used to each other by now. I don't think anyone would feel uncomfortable continuing their studies with others. 

"This is good. We've got some space left. You guys head to our table and prepare the study materials. Ayanokouji and I will get some reference books," commanded Yukimura.

The two of us separated from the group and explored the shelves.

"How's everyone doing?" I asked.

"Normal, I guess. Sakura is by far the weakest in terms of progress, but I can see her effort. She'll be fine as long as her enthusiasm doesn't drop."

"That's good. Ken seems comfortable with your methods, too."

"Sudou, huh...?" Yukimura looked down with a slightly dejected expression. "I apologized to him about this before. Back then, I really looked down on him. I thought he was a no-good delinquent who had no hopes of graduating. I always topped the written exams and contributed heavily to our rankings... But during the Sports Festival, the difference between us became clear."

"If you're talking about Sudou's athleticism, then I don't think you should feel bad about it. As you've said, you're our ace when it comes to academics. You two are just about equal in terms of being an asset to the class."

Yukimura smiled wryly, shaking his head.

"I don't think so. Sudou's academics were absolutely horrible at first, but he's been studying hard ever since the start of school. It wouldn't take long before he could overtake the top twenty to fifteen spots in our class during written exams. In other words, he's not a detriment even with his weakness... Meanwhile, my severe lack of athleticism cost us a lot of points. Even during the Island Exam, I couldn't help much because my stamina isn't high," he explained. "Unlike Sudou, I'm a detriment with my weakness."

In basketball terms, Ken would still do alright even when playing on an Away Court. On the other hand, Yukimura would do terribly anywhere other than his Home Court-- or so I've learned.

He's such an uptight and serious guy, much like a certain girl.

"What about Hirata then?" I asked while tucking a pile of books in my arm.

"Hirata...?"

"He's always in the top five during exams but he's also one of the most athletic guys in class."

"W-Well..."

"How about me? Hirata scores more in exams but I'm slightly more athletic than him. We're just about the same in terms of abilities."

"You and Hirata... Well, you guys are different."

"You're still looking down on Ken, Yukimura," I shrugged. "You've come to a compromise with yourself that you and Ken just have different expertise, and you were convinced that the two of you should at least be on equal footing... But now, you think he's better than you in overall contribution, and your pride is taking a hit."

Yukimura's face became contorted after hearing my words.

"That..."

If he didn't respect me as a former class leader, I'm sure he would've lashed out.