Vol. 5: Chapter 17.2.2 - Run as Fast as You Can

"You did well. Good work." Horikita Manabu received the baton, leaving their class's fifth runner in a state of shock and confusion.

"U-Uh... Hah... Thanks. Hah..." The guy panted as he walked out of the field. 

"I'll join you in this farce, President Horikita." 

Nagumo's tone was deep. His gloomy expression indicated that he wasn't amused by this development at all.

"You're free to do what you want, Nagumo."

Nagumo got into position, waiting for Kikyou to pass the baton to me. In mere seconds, she'll be here.

"I'll say one thing to you before we race," I uttered, speaking to him in a way that only he can hear my voice.

"What is it?" he asked, as the two of us got ready.

"Run as fast as you can."

I saw him smile in the corner of my eye. As I focused on what was in front of me, I finally felt the baton touch my hands.

"Kiyotaka-kun!" Kikyou cried.

And with that, I tear through the wind as I dashed down the track.

The cold winds of the fall season brushed past my cheeks as I sprinted with all my might. It felt completely different from the confined air of that sterile room. Ever since I got out of that place, I never had the chance to run seriously. That changed today.

The existence of the other runners almost seemed to have faded from my consciousness. I stopped caring about whether I'd passed them or not. Right now, the only thing that mattered was competing against the man next to me.

Eventually, I could no longer distinguish the things that I'm hearing. The cheers, the wind, the steps, or the cries of our fellow runners-- they all blended into one continuous sound.

"What?!"

"N-No way!"

"Woah-!"

Each student we passed gasped in shock. I sensed Nagumo's presence beside Horikita Manabu and felt like the three of us will eventually take the lead. Speeding through everyone in a straight line, and then curving our paths to reach the parallel side.

In this competition, wits, tactics, strategies-- none of them mattered. We can only run and run until we reach the finish line, and the one who gets there first would be the victor.

Alright, let's kick this up a notch, shall we?

Author's Notes:

Apologies that I had to separate the ending part of the race. This was supposed to be included in the last chapter-part, but the one I uploaded was an incomplete version. Turns out, the continuation I wrote (which is the content of this chapter-part) wasn't saved.

Also, I removed that annoying retard who stumbled in fear after seeing Kiyotaka approaching him at light speed.