Vol. 7: Chapter 2.1 - The Aftermath

Even with the end-of-year exam ending, the second semester still has a couple of weeks left before winter break. And just a few days after the Paper Shuffle Exam, the results were finally announced. 

This was rather welcome for Class A. The news about Miyamoto's expulsion eventually spread and it became the talk of the town for the first-years. The class was obviously uncomfortable with this, so a new hot topic for everyone to tattle about was much appreciated.

"Woah..."

"These results are insane!"

"Class B and Class C had a difference of two points!"

"That's literally one question away from a tie!"

Since the match-ups were spread across all classes, the school had decided to publicly show our scores.

Thankfully, the nail-biting closeness between Class B and Class C's scores took everyone's attention away

Looking at our scores, we could've realistically broken through 25,000 points if Miyamoto managed to take the exam. And there's the mental burden of the incident wearing the entire class down, too.

That said, even if we did get 25,000 points, there would still be a sizable gap between us and the other two classes.

"Good morning, Ayanokouji-kun."

Hirata greeted me as soon as I walked inside the classroom.

I glanced at the area where Miyamoto previously sat and saw that his desk and chair were gone.

"Good morning, Hirata. Did you see the results?" I asked.

"Yes... It's unfortunate, but we tried our best. According to Horikita-san, we've actually surpassed our previous results from the mock test. Even if we lost this time, the growth of our classmates cannot be denied."

"She plans on announcing this later, right?"

"If Chabashira-sensei gives us permission, then yes. I'll be there with her, as always."

"I see. Business as usual for the leaders. It's gonna be tough, but I think you two have done a good job in weathering the storm."

Hearing my praise, the subtle tension in Hirata's eyes began to relax.

"Your opinion matters a lot. Horikita-san and I look up to you, after all."

"You're giving me too much credit..."

After putting my things in place, I was approached by my neighbor.

"Did you sleep well?" It was the first sentence I managed to say after looking at Horikita.

After all, she was...

"Yes, but barely. I stayed up quite a bit last night."

"Even though the exams are over?"