Vol. 4.5: Chapter 5.1 - In Good Hands

August 22nd, 11:30 AM.

I was currently walking out of the dorm building while writing out a very long message. After pressing the send button, the voice of a female classmate called out to me.

"Hey, Kiyotaka-kun!"

"Ryuuko?" I turned around and saw her wearing our school uniform like me.

"Are you on your way to school now? It's still pretty early, you know?"

"Yeah, I didn't have anything better to do inside my room, anyway," I replied. "How about you?"

"I'm heading there now, as well."

Eh? But why did you sound surprised about my decision if you're doing the same thing...?

"Then let's just go together."

"Mn," she nodded.

Students who had business inside the school building were required to wear their uniforms. That said, there are times when fashionistas like Karuizawa or Satou refuse to wear their blazers even during normal school days. Fortunately, it wasn't strictly against the rules, however.

"It's rare for you to not wear your blazer. But given this heat, I guess it would make sense."

Seeing her get-up made me remove my blazer, too. I folded it properly as we walked and put it inside my bag. I also rolled my sleeves up so my forearm doesn't get too sweaty.

"Some girls might want to endure, but I don't sweat easily, so I'll be fine."

"Endure? I thought you'd be enduring more if you wear it."

Ryuuko smiled bitterly like she was looking at an innocent child. At that moment, I knew I missed something.

"Summer in Japan will indiscriminately make us sweat no matter what we wear. As a girl, do you think it's better to sweat while covered by a dark-colored blazer, or a thin, white blouse?"

Airi was worried about the same thing when Haruka convinced her to swim in the river. She said that it's embarrassing because the clothing will become transparent, showing her undergarments.

"I see... I get it now."

"Yep." 

Before I could shift my gaze forward, Ryuuko drew closer and softly called out to me. She lightly grabbed my right sleeve, looking at me with her violet eyes. 

"I'm an exception, see? Despite the heat, I won't start sweating unless the surrounding becomes humid. This breeze certainly helps a lot."

The summer breeze surely helped keep our sweat glands in control for now

The summer breeze surely helped keep our sweat glands in control for now. But once the day reaches its peak, I'm sure even Ryuuko wouldn't be able to resist the heat. It's probably the reason why she opted to head there early.

"Good for you, I guess. I don't have that power."

"Fufun~. It's quite amazing, isn't it?" Ryuuko's smile turned stiff. "But the cold is a different thing, though... It's my weakness. I even tend to get sick whenever the season shifts."