Vol. 5: Chapter 6.1 - The Princess of the Playground

"The library, huh?" I muttered after figuring out the path we were taking.

The girl in front of me didn't speak a word. I can't tell if she was ordered to stay quiet, but for now, I wanna try making a conversation.

"You're Kamuro, right?"

"Yes, I'm Kamuro."

She didn't even look back as she responded, and she even sighed. I'm glad I couldn't see her face. My heart wouldn't be able to take it if I saw her rolling her eyes in annoyance. 

But at least I got a response.

"Are you with anyone else?"

"No," she replied.

"Hm..."

Before I could mumble to myself any longer, the two of us finally reached our destination.

"You're not going in?" I asked after seeing her unmoving posture.

"She wanted to meet you alone, so I'll be going home after this." 

"Ohh... I see."

Kamuro turned around without changing her expression.

I entered the library and admired its size like I usually do. I really like how it feels whenever I'm here. That said, the vibe wasn't as light-hearted knowing what's about to come next.

As I walked past the large shelves, a lone girl was sitting on a two-person table with a certain board game ready for play.

That petite stature, silver hair, charming smile, and prepossessing face-- this was my first time to be directly on the receiving end of it.

"Good evening, Ayanokouji-kun," Sakayanagi Arisu smiled at me with a nod. "Would like you to play a game of chess?"

I took the seat in front of her and glanced at the board.

"This should be our first official meeting. It's a pleasure to finally talk to you," she said.

"Likewise."

She gently took the digital chess clock and adjusted it.

"A 30-minute rapid game should be sufficient, yes?"

"I guess it's fine as long there's no increment. We don't want to be in here for too long."

"You don't have to worry about anything. I've already consulted the faculty about borrowing the library for a bit."

"It's a different thing when it's already past school hours. You must've used quite a bit of private points."

"How sharp." Sakayanagi put the clock back in place and moved her pawn to e4 before pressing the button. "Now then. Why don't we begin our little chat?"

e4

I briefly replied with e5 to get things started.

e5

"Do you have anything that you want to talk about in particular?"

Nf3

"I should be the one asking you that. You're the one who called me here, weren't you?"

Nc6

"Fufu~, you're right. Oh my, how silly of me."

Bc4

The Italian, huh? I almost grabbed my dark-squared bishop, but I decided to move my other knight instead. (1)

Nf6