Vol. 4.5: Chapter 11.3 - A Vague Future

"Ayanokouji?"

"Ohh, it's Ayanokouji-kun and... Horikita-chan?!"

Two students wearing their summer clothes walked behind us.

"Kikuchi and... Mori?"

Kikuchi Eita and Mori Nene. As their classmate, seeing them together wasn't really surprising.

"Mori-san..." Horikita immediately looked exhausted after seeing her face.

"You don't have to look so repulsed with the sight of me. You'll hurt my feelings, you know?"

Meanwhile, Kikuchi approached me with a  smirk.

"So what's the big news? You guys dating?" he asked.

"No," we instantly replied, in sync. Horikita seemed to have heard his question.

"Ehh... Is that the case? I really thought you guys became lovers," said Mori.

"Well, is that the case for you and Kikuchi-kun?" Horikita asked back, raising an eyebrow.

"Eita and I? Ahaha, no, no. We're just here to check things out. Having a pair is a requirement, so we came together."

"We're on the same boat, then. You don't get to assume things," scolded Horikita.

"My bad~." But Mori didn't look remorseful at all.

The two of them lined up behind us after getting their tickets.

"I'm surprised. I never thought you'd be interested in these kinds of things, Horikita-chan."

"I wasn't. Ayanokouji-kun was the one who invited me."

"So you're the one who's interested, huh?" Kikuchi followed up with a question directed at me.

"I guess you could say that. It's just pure curiosity. You don't get this kind of opportunity every day. I might as well try it out," I answered. "How about you guys?"

"Romantic divinations! Aren't they super interesting? Or maybe that's just my girly side talking?" Mori looked excited.

"Hmm, I'm not so sure myself. This girl's the one who invited me." Kikuchi turned to her with a provocative glint in his eyes. "Say, Nene. Since you're so interested in the romance aspect of things, why don't we ask about our compatibility?"

"Huh, are you an idiot? What are you saying all of a sudden?" Mori responded with a bored expression.

Kikuchi's smile didn't disappear as he stared at her.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," he chuckled. "Maybe some tenchuusatsu is fine. But just know that I'm not against it if you're willing to have the fortune-teller read our romantic future."

Mori smacked his arm with an annoyed groan.

"Tenchuusatsu?"

I subconsciously parroted the unfamiliar word. I wasn't the only one who was confused by it, though. My partner also tilted her head on reflex.

"You and Horikita-chan don't know? Hmm... If I were to put it in simple words, I guess it's a type of reading that tells what times are unlucky for you."

Mori explained to us what tenchuusatsu was. I wondered if it was similar to time-based superstitions like "wear the color red during this day" or "be careful not to lose something this month" which was, admittedly, the limit to my fortune-telling knowledge.

"I'm surprised you know about it, Nene. I thought you were just an ignorant brat who came here for the romance stuff." Kikuchi teased Mori with his usual smirk.