Vol. 7: Chapter 5.3 - That Man

"I'm sure you have your guesses, Ayanokouji. Even I'm not too thrilled about this development."

I was Chabashira-sensei's lifeline. Unless Horikita and the rest of the class develop to the point of independence, graduating as Class A will continue to be a pipe dream.

"It's the man with the same surname as I do, right?"

"So you don't acknowledge him as your father?"

I wonder if I should take that response as confirmation.

"In what sense? Technically speaking, he is my biological father. I do acknowledge that," I replied.

Around that time, I noticed that we walked further and further away from the classroom area.  

"Then how about in the emotional sense?" 

This time, Sensei's question was met with silence, making her sigh.

"Don't worry, I won't pry if you don't want me to."

"How considerate of you."

"We all have our circumstances. I'll involve myself with you strictly as your class adviser, so feel free to make your moves with me in mind."

That's how it's always been though. We've established a symbiotic relationship and have been making use of each other since long ago. It seems like Chabashira-sensei wants to continue that relationship if things go well after this.

I figured out her obsession with Class A early on but... I wonder what's behind that obsession.

Regardless, Chabashira-sensei didn't need to be so worried. I'm not going anywhere.

"That's pretty helpful," I shrugged. "Will Chairman Sakayanagi be there?"

"He'll arrive a bit later. The visit was too sudden, so even the chairman was caught off-guard."

We tread through the hallways of offices, and after a few minutes, the two of us stopped in front of a door. 

"Chabashira-sensei..."

Before she could say anything, I told her something that may or may not happen later on. 

After a few moments of explaining, Chabashira-sensei finally understood my intentions. 

"It's that dangerous...?" she asked with an anxious face.

"Yes," I nodded. "I'll be counting on you."

After nodding back, Chabashira-sensei spoke.

"Principal, I've brought Ayanokouji Kiyotaka-kun."

"Enter." The reply came from a familiar voice that carried the dignity of age.

A man who was around sixty sat on a sofa. I'd seen him multiple times in different significant school occasions. He was indeed our school principal. That said, his current demeanor betrayed my initial impressions of him. He wasn't calm. In fact, he looked pretty rattled with cold sweat trickling down his forehead.

Of course, the reason was the man sitting opposite to him. It was unexpected, but not surprising.

 It was unexpected, but not surprising