Vol. 6: Chapter 3.1.2 - Your Warmth

On the next day, Kikyou's downtrodden attitude became more noticeable to everyone in the class. This would obviously cause them to worry.

"Kikyou-chan... Are you okay?" asked Mii-chan.

"Ryuuen-kun and his classmates are getting creepier with all their questions... It must make you feel awful," Ryuuko comforted her.

"I'm alright, really!" Kikyou feigned a smile. "I am bothered by all this, but I'm sure this is just some sort of strategic move from Class D." 

"So now they're targeting you? How annoying! Why can't they just leave us alone?!" Onodera groaned in frustration.

I overheard their conversation as I walked inside the classroom.

"Good morning, Kiyotaka-kun." Kikyou waved at me, and her friends followed suit.

"Good morning," I responded shortly.

"Ayanokouji-kun, can you come over here for a second?" Onodera moved the chair in front of her and patted the seat.

Kikyou, who was sitting on her chair, was currently surrounded by her friends. It seems like they wanted me to join the conversation. Kikyou looked flustered and refused to make eye contact with me. Well, if she's not saying anything, then I guess there's nothing wrong with me coming over. 

After taking a seat, they instantly hounded me with probing looks.

"Kiyotaka-kun, aren't you worried about Kikyou-chan?" asked Ryuuko.

"Ryuuen-kun and his class are being intrusive. Just a little more and they might actually start harassing her!" followed Onodera.

Mii-chan and Onigashira nodded in agreement.

"G-Girls... You don't have to interrogate Ayanokouji-kun like this..." Kikyou pleaded but her voice was weak, mostly because of embarrassment.

To be honest, I was unsure whether this was still part of her act.

"It's fine. I think I should be involved in this. I'm your best friend, after all."

The four girls nodded, urging me to continue.

"Well... If Ryuuen keeps this up, then there's no way I'd stay on the sidelines."

"Is... that so...?" Kikyou turned her flushed face toward me.

"Yeah. I'll protect you, Kikyou. I won't let him do anything to you."

"Kyaaahhh~!"

Girly squeals reverberated inside the classroom. It wasn't just Kikyou's friends. Apparently, some other girls were paying attention to the conversation, as well.

"Oh my god!"

"So romantic!"

"Die, normie!" Wait, who's this?

"He really said that!"

"Are you two really not dating?!"

"I want to bash your heads in!" Who are these violent people?!

"Even my heart is racing~!"

"I'm so envious!"

Tons of exaggerated reactions could be heard. The classroom was in chaos so early in the morning. We might get minus points if this keeps up.

"K-K-Kiyotaka-kun, what are you saying, all of a sudden?!" She never expected my response, so her confusion was understandable.

"I'm just telling the truth..."