Vol. 5: Chapter 4.1 - The Grip Test

"Woohoo! More free time!" celebrated Ike.

Since there was a lot to do before the sports festival, our physical education classes would be used for practice from here on out, too. And that's exactly how we're going to spend our time from now on.

"Please line up. We'll be looking at everyone's current physical strength with a couple of tests," announced Hirata. 

He submitted a request in advance and managed to procure a device for measuring grip strength. We're about to fill in our roster for the recommended-participant competitions. 

"I borrowed two of these so we can split the class in half and save time. Yukimura-kun and I will be recording the results."

The boys casually made two lines of nine and ten, courtesy to Kouenji's unresponsiveness.

"What's that, Ayanokouji?" asked Kikuchi, who was lined up behind me.

"A measuring instrument?"

"I know that, dude... I'm just curious if you know the specific name for it. You look like someone who does." His all-knowing smirk is annoying and scary at the same time.

"What kind of judgment is that...?" I sighed before addressing Hirata. "Hey, Hirata. What's that device called?"

"This...? I actually don't know," he answered.

"Hmm. What unit does it use?" I asked.

"Oh, let's see... It's kilograms."

"Alright, thanks."

"Why do you ask?"

"Kikuchi was asking about it for some reason."

Kikuchi beamed at him while making a peace sign.

"Oi, Kiyotaka! I'll go first. 'That okay?"

Ken approached us with a scary look on his face.

"Uh, sure... Go ahead."

Yukimura's line started measuring their grip strength along with us. I faced Kikuchi, who was still waiting for an answer.

"You heard the man. The name of that device will be a mystery unless we ask someone who knows."

Kikuchi scoffed at me and shook his head.

"Hahaha, c'mon now. Don't me take for an idiot, Ayanokouji. You know what it's called, don't you?" he chuckled. "I know because you let your curiosity get the best of you."

This is why I hate talking to clever guys. I'm getting the same vibe as that bespectacled student council president from him. Just a bit more annoying.

"I see. I thought you wouldn't notice."

Kikuchi only shrugged his shoulders in response.

"It's a Jamar Dynamometer. It's pretty common."

"I knew I could count on you." He laughed while patting my shoulder. 

He looked like he didn't even need the answer in the first place. This guy...

"Woah, 57.3 kilograms? You're strong, Sestu!"

"I think that's pretty average," Minami replied.

"Hmph, I'll put that record in its place. Watch this, Minami. Uraaah!" The competitive Ken wouldn't let Minami hog the spotlight.

His shoulders trembled as he tightly squeezed the device in his right hand. The numbers on the digital readout spiked in an instant. 50 kg... 60 kg... 70 kg... 80 kg... In the end, the measurement of his grip strength was displayed for everyone to see.