Vol. 5: Chapter 18.4 - A King's Weakness

(20:35) [I need to talk to you.]

Horikita finally decided to contact me, huh?

(20:36) [About what?]

(20:36) [It's about the class traitor.]
(20:36) [Something didn't sit right with me earlier.]

(20:36) [Kikuchi just asked me for a favor earlier.]
(20:36) [I think it's better if you talk to Hirata instead.]

(20:36) [I see.]
(20:36) [Alright, I understand. I'll do that.]

I don't have to get involved with that matter right now. The two of them can probably tie whatever loose ends that issue had left. What's important is for Horikita to keep the class stable. Hirata would be the perfect right-hand man for the job.

"It's chilly out here." Kikyou started the conversation as soon as she saw me put my phone back inside my pocket.

"Yeah," I replied.

The way to the convenience store wasn't too far from the dorm, so we passed by some students who just got back from Keyaki Mall. Most of them were girls and guys from the sophomores. They waved at Kikyou, greeting her a good evening. They also gave me some curious glances, probably because they recognized me as the guy who competed with Nagumo earlier.

"The upper class will take notice of you now," Kikyou spoke after we walked a considerable distance.

"Seems like it."

"Why did you do it, Kiyotaka-kun?"

"To help Horikita," I answered.

"I meant your real reason," she chuckled.

Kikyou didn't believe me-- not even a single bit.

"What else would my reason be?"

"I don't know. It just... didn't seem like something you would do on a whim."

"In the future, Nagumo will take notice of me no matter what, even if I try to hide. What I did earlier was a pre-emptive move to make him categorize me early on as Horikita's pawn rather than a potential puppet master." 

"Does Horikita-san know about that?"

"No, but she'll figure it out on her own."

"I see," Kikyou replied as the automatic door opened.

"Welcome," said the convenience store employee.

I came inside and checked some of the products. I recalled things that I might need, but maybe I'll just buy everything at once when I go to the supermarket.

"Thank you for your patronage!" The employee greeted us goodbye.

"Want some?" Kikyou handed the opened pack of gummy snacks to me.

I took one piece and ate it as we continued walking back. Looking at the small bag that contained what Kikyou bought, she probably ran out of a specific necessity.

"I don't like Hasebe-san at all," she said.

"Is that so?" 

"I don't think she's insufferable like some of the girls in our class, but I can't stand the way she thinks."

"The way she thinks?"

"C'mon, Kiyotaka-kun. You know what I'm talking about, don't you?"

Kikyou's ability to assess people really is top-notch. I'm impressed she could figure out the underlying darkness behind Haruka's good-natured actions. Matsushita is probably the only one who can surpasses her in this area.