Vol. 6: Chapter 10.1 - Plan of Action

At the end of the school week, Horikita gave everyone their mock test results.

"You'll have tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday to use these as guides for your final review. Good luck, everyone. I believe that our hard work will bear fruit in the final exams."

Horikita's closing announcement made everyone cheer in glee. Their motivation was at its peak after seeing a nice overall result for the mock test.

Everyone left in high spirits, but the same couldn't really be said for Horikita and Hirata, the leaders of Class A. In less than three days, we'll take the actual Paper Shuffle Exam. But before that, they'll have to submit the test questions we've created.

"Kiyopon! Let's go?" Haruka called out to me with a big smile.

"Yeah, I'll be there."

Well, there's no need for me to worry about them. It's not my responsibility now.

As our group walked down the road home, someone suddenly called out to us.

"Hey, guys!" Miyamoto ran up to us with slightly ragged breath.

"The hell are you doing here?" asked Ken.

Everyone in my group immediately gave him the stink-eye. Well, I don't think Airi was doing the same, but she didn't look pleased either.

"If it's not a bother, is it alright if I talk to you for a bit, Ayanokouji?"

My friends were able to realize that Miyamoto wanted to talk about our current situation. My silence also gave away how I felt about his proposition. All of them gave me a shrug and turned around.

"We'll be at the usual convenience store," said Akito.

Airi and Haruka waved at me while Ken continued glaring at Miyamoto.

Before long, the two of us were finally alone.

"Look, I know I did something uncalled for a few days ago, so I want to take this chance to apologize." Miyamoto meekly scratched his head.

I'm sure it felt out of character for everyone, but I always knew Miyamoto had his reasons.

"Ryuuen told you to do it, didn't he?"

"Yeah, that's right... Did Horikita-san tell you about the possibility of another traitor?"

"No, she didn't, but I won't be surprised if that was the case."

"Like Kikuchi and Mori, I'm just forced to cooperate with Ryuuen. Yelling at you was just another order from him."

"What did he tell you?"

"Cause a commotion by picking a fight with Ayanokouji. Make it flashy... That's what he told me."

"And why did he want you to do that, exactly?"

"I'll be honest. I have no idea. I know about the immediate effect, though. The class thinks I've gone crazy now. Maybe Ryuuen just wanted to torment me."

"I think they'll forget it over time, but I'm sure it sucks that you can't make yourself clear to everyone."

"Yeah, dude... Even now, I'm still a bit scared about talking to you. No offense, but we can't be sure that none of your friends is the traitor-- if there even is one."

Still, since Miyamoto still talked to me even after seeing me with my friends, it's safe to say that they're the people he least suspects.

"Of course. Without any clues, anyone can be a suspect. But why did you want to tell me about it now?"