Vol. 6: Chapter 9.3 - Sarcasm

The next day, Miyamoto and I didn't really talk. Some of my friends felt concerned about us, but as long as we didn't bother each other, I think it'll be fine.

When lunch break came along, a surprise guest appeared by the door of Class A. Well, two surprise guests, to be exact.

"W-What is b-b-baldy doing here?!" Ike instantly reacted to his presence with a rude nickname.

"Fufufu, that's not very nice."

Appearing behind Katsuragi was Sakayanagi. Now, everyone was even more surprised. Why would the two faction leaders of Class B suddenly come to our classroom?

"Is Ayanokouji here?" asked Katsuragi.

Well, there's our answer.

I stood up and walked towards them. I could hear my classmates murmuring about the current course of events, but I couldn't really do anything about it. Even my friends looked confused, understandably so.

"Sorry for delaying your lunchtime, but can we take a little bit of your time?" Sakayanagi smiled.

"Sure, I guess..."

I really wanted to eat now, so I had no choice but to hear them out and end this as soon as possible. I don't really have any problem with people talking to me for the sake of socializing, but considering that it's these two, I doubt that was the reason.

After walking to the end of the hallway near the stairs, I mustered up the courage to talk first.

"You're not with your usual company, Sakayanagi," I said, glancing at the security camera near us.

"Oh, are you talking about Masumi-san? She's currently having lunch with some of our classmates. Did you prefer to have her here with us?"

What an incredibly misleading response. I can instantly see its effect after looking at Katsuragi's reaction.

"I honestly thought you were romantically involved with Kushida. I didn't think you were interested in Kamuro..."

"Seriously, Katsuragi... Sakayanagi was obviously just teasing me. I have no romantic feelings towards Kamuro whatsoever. We haven't even had a proper conversation."

"Ohh, is that so...? My bad."

Sakayanagi chuckled while listening to our exchange.

"Let's just get this over with... Why did you want to talk to me?" I sighed.

"I'll be honest, Ayanokouji. This was Sakayanagi's idea and she just asked me to accompany her. I have no clue what this is all about."

"Katsuragi-kun is right. But I also didn't think he'd agree to come with me," she said, giving him a side-eye. "I thought you'd refuse, or at least, be more guarded. But you immediately said yes after a quick think."

"Well, of course. I have my own agenda."

"Fufu, I see. Your honesty is very convenient, Katsuragi-kun."

"Then I'll hear you out first, Sakayanagi." I put my hands inside my pocket and focused my attention on her.

The lilac hair of the girl in front of me swayed gently. Her cane stood straight as she held its end with her two dainty hands.

"I would like to make some clarifications about our promise." 

"Promise?"

Sakayanagi shook her head with a sigh. 

"No... I don't think we can even call it that. I was just arbitrarily pushing my desires onto you. But this time, I want us to make things clear."

"Alright. Tell me what you have in mind."