Astrid - Legend of Five: Shadow in the Lake

Reviewer: AStridGSmile12

Review: Legend of Five: Shadow in the Lake

Client: Blackwriter09

🌻

First, I must say that I love the hand-drawn cover, and from my understanding, it was commissioned? This shows how much the writer is investing into their work, and I love it! Its title is mindful, it works with the Legend of Zelda, but it doesn't sound unoriginal at the same time. The blurb is well structured and has no spelling or grammatical errors. It gave as much as I needed without giving too much away.

This work doesn't feel rushed or unnecessarily slow either. The plot is laced with a breath of tension, but it doesn't overwhelm and allows the story to render within my mind seamlessly. I don't play the Legend of Zelda games; I thought the elf character was Zelda for the longest. I found out I was so wrong around middle school, and boy was I embarrassed, yeesh. I now know that Zelda is the princess that Link sometimes has to find and rescue, or I believe he is sent on a mission by her. As I said, I'm not too versed in the original material. This author brings in her original characters into the Ninetendo universe strategically, which noobs- like myself- are grateful for because we can learn to appreciate the game material- even when we have no prior knowledge- through the eyes of her characters.

Each character has their own powers and personality, and each is given their own backstory and separate adventure. As the writer brings everything and everyone together, she writes in the games lore and the different realms in which the fantastical characters live, making this work very vivid and, above all, adventurous. So, to summarize what I think about the plot, character development, and structure, I think the author knows what she's doing, and she knows how to tug on heartstrings as well as mind power. Her flows are neatly straightened, her characters are thrown into obstacles and challenges that bring out the best in them, and her structure is voiceful and gripping.

And on top of it, all the spelling and grammar are professionally looked after and kept in check. I read it smoothly as books should be read.

I love it all, my fellow author. Again, being someone who doesn't know much about the fandom, you made it easy for me to catch up and provided me an entry point to join in on the fun that this universe offers. My favorite character is Rebecca! I love her funny, hard Wonder-girl attitude, and because of that attitude, she keeps her head and doesn't go crazy. I know I would have if I woke up chained in a cell away from my home. The rest of the squad are great, too, and I really hope that I get to read soon the favorable conclusion that my boy Trevor is seeking!

So, author, if you would like a review to post on your author note or in your blurb,

"Legend of Five: Shadow in the Lake is a welcome fanfiction to all. The author will help you fall in love with the world of Hyrule! Her use of imagery and mindful word choice will have you convinced that you're reading a good paperback." - Sunflower Community Reviewer Astrid