Astrid - I will be a Villain in this life

Reviewer: AStridGSmile12

Review: I will be a Villain in this life

Client: Amber_Gilbert

🌻

We begin with the title to this guilty pleasure. As my first suggestion, if the title is a declaration, try adding quotation marks and an exclamation point if needed. But I think it would be great to rework it just a little because it sounds a tad too formal.

A Villain They Called Me; A Villain I Became!

Blessed by a Goddess but Condemn by Everyone Else

This Time I Am the Villain!

(Just a few sound-alikes.)

Titles are a delicate thing to evaluate only because writers tend to love what they choose to go with from the beginning, and the opinions of others hardly change their minds about it. And honestly, I'm not advocating that the writer should listen to me or change anything against their better judgment. (But I am a reviewer, and so I'll just provide my feedback on it as I will everything else.) I will remind the author that all I'm trying to do is provoke new ideas, allowing them to create new branches of creativity within their own minds. But what I say should not be taken to heart or sway the author to make changes that they see as unneeded or unfit. At the end of the day, the title serves its purpose, and it nods to what the story will center on and fits the content well.

The blurb is a quote taken from the content. Although I find it intriguing, I must admit that if you added a synopsis of the beginning, middle, and (a bit of the) end before the quote, you would be more effective in catching the reader's attention. But I can tell the protagonist aims to be the bad guy, and I can't wait to find out why.

Moving on to the cover, it shows a clear picture of Zhan, the protagonist. I only suggest you place a solid text box behind the title to make sure the font doesn't blend into the white of his dress shirt. Also, enlarge the [by XXXXX] (because others will have it displayed well in contests, and when the picture is solely the character's still portrait, the extra bit helps make it look meatier).

Its plot is nicely paced, so kudos! The author doesn't start with the action or the moment of a turnaround for the character right away. They gave me the protagonist's background story and an ordinary day in their life, which made the crisis of existence they suffered extra impactful. The plot grows, and it's always leading upwards to a climax and an ending as it should. Besides the thirst for revenge and the smell of unjust malice, the plot is laced brilliantly with mystery and lore, so it's action-packed and intense.

The writing structure is a tad loose, and the grammar should be looked over. I did run into a few typos too. Remember that having a great tale to tell is one part of the whole. In user contests and Wattpad contests, there will be others with just as interesting of a tale. They will have the upper hand if they went the extra mile and edited their story to the point of almost professional perfection. I know because I've lost to them myself. Does it need to be perfect?! Maybe not at first, but if you've completed it and have the time, I mean, why not edit it?

I always end with how much I enjoyed the work I read. Without hesitation, I got hooked on this story. I sometimes think there's something wrong with me because I really enjoy a good revenge trope. Just because Zhan's mother was a good mom and protected her son, causing her to lose her life, his father ends up treating him that badly! I can't even appreciate the love he has for his late wife after all the atrocities he commits against his kids. The writer certainly knows how to entice me, and I can't wait to find out what Zhan really has in store for his father. And finally, my favorite character is Yibo! That sass is everything. Oh, gosh!

If you would like a review for your blurb or author's note, you can place this,

"I will be the villain in this life, is like eating a whole tray of chili-cheese fries by yourself (or the vegan equivalent). Such a thrilling and strangely satisfying read. You'll be on the villain's side for sure!" - Sunflower Community Reviewer Astrid