40

"I have..." Harry swallowed the lump in his throat with difficulty.

"Leukemia." the doctor filled in the last word that was missing.

That word echoed through Louis' head.
The grip on his coffee loosened, in fact he almost dropped the cup.

"Since you are expecting we will wait with chemotherapy until your first trimester is over. Till then you will have to visit the oncology ward regularly. We will be g-" Louis found the doorknob of the door with his hand, rushing out of that room as quickly as possible.

"No." he started shaking as soon as he was standing in the hallway.

Louis wasn't really the one to cry much, but in situation like this...

"Why?" he threw the cup with his unfinished coffee away before it would end up on the ground.

"Why?" he pressed his palms against his eyes.
The tears streamed down his cheeks while he was pacing around the hallway, his breathing rate increasing. He felt like he couldn't breathe, he felt like he was going to throw up soon.

"Are you okay?" he could hear -for him- unknown voice. From the scent of that woman he could recognize she was a beta.

"Hello?" but Louis couldn't answer, he wanted to, but couldn't.

"Breathe." the beta grabbed Louis by his shoulders.
"In and out, in and out." she managed to calm Louis' breathing down a bit and stop his restless movement.

"Are you okay?" she asked again.

"Y-Yeah, thank you." he wiped his cheeks quickly.

She didn't believe him a word but she had work to do, so she just gave Louis a smile before she left to do what she had to.

"Mr. Tomlinson." just then Louis could see the same doctor that previously talked to Harry making his way towards him.

"Don't, don't." he backed away, covering his face in his hands once again.

"Mr. Tomlinson, 80% of patients beat the ill-" Louis cut him off.

"And 20% don't, I fucking know that. They had t-told the same thing to my mother."

"I- I wasn't even there when she-" Louis sobbed.

"I don't want to s-see it again, I- can't do that." the blue eyed man shook his head frantically.

Harry's POV

I was lying in the hospital sickbed, staring outside the window that was there. The summer was almost here. The sky was blue and the birds were happily flying outside. I wish I could fly too. I wish I could be one of them, it would be much easier that way.

I didn't want to imagine all those things that the doctor told me would come in the future. All the medicine they will be feeding me with, all those cannulas, the chemotherapy... I was scared of it so fucking much.

I was also left confused by Louis' actions. Why did he leave?
'Because he doesn't want to take care of useless, sick omega.' the voice in my head said in whisper.
Will he come back?

I could feel the hot salty tears prickling my eyes.

Suddenly the door opened and inside walked Louis.
I sat up on the sickbed, my gaze immediately fixed on him.

"Louis?" I whispered full of hope that he would come over to me.

He didn't, instead he came over to his things that he had brought in with him previously.

Was he leaving?

"Lou!" I think I never used that nickname before, but it worked. It caused him to stop in his tracks.
He turned around slowly, staring at me with unreadable expression plastered on his face.