*The letter*

*Request : struby1233 a one-shot of the letter Max wrote to Lucas when she found out she was probably going to die due to Vecna. Max is alive in this one shot. Also, I don't know if the letter is ever going to be shown in an episode but this is my version. Thank you all for reading, enjoy!

-

Lucas sighed, carefully placing the covers over Max's body as she slept. Watching over her for a moment, he pressed a delicate kiss against her hair. He almost lost her, hell, he could've lost her. Sitting at her feet, Lucas searched his pockets for a particular item. Steve had just dropped him off at his house but Max had fallen asleep in the car. With her head resting on Lucas's shoulder, he couldn't just leave her there after the day they'd had.

So Lucas carried her inside his house, quietly shutting the front door with his foot. Thankfully, his parents weren't home as they were most likely out still looking for him and his sister. They weren't going to be happy when they get home. Sleeping in his bed, Max had been dozing in and out of sleep. It was understandable, who wouldn't be tired after escaping death by an inch? Lucas finally pulled the envelope out of his pocket, staring down at his name printed clearly on the front.

He looked at Max and then back at the letter, stuck between two choices. He could either betray her wishes by reading the letter or he could live with the distant possibility. She had specifically told him to wait. He only really needed to read the letter if she had passed away. Luckily, Max was right beside him, alive and well. Too eager, Lucas cursed at himself, his curiosity getting the best of him as he ripped open the envelope.

Dearest Lucas,

If you're reading this, I'm probably already gone. I wish I didn't have to leave you like this but, here we are. Talk about bad luck, I clearly have it worse than anyone in Hawkins. There's so much I want to say, but where to start? Even if I were able to write it all, I wouldn't have enough time. So, here goes nothing. Lucas, I really don't know what I would've done if I hadn't met you.

In so little time of knowing you, you've managed to bring me so much happiness. That night on the bus, my life changed forever. Because I knew from that moment on that if I didn't belong anywhere, at least I belonged with you. You made me feel things I can't even explain. When I was with you, nothing else in the world seemed to matter. It was just you and me, basking in that moment together.

I know that sounds really cheesy, but it's true. You knew things weren't always easy for me at home, especially after Billy. And even while I was pushing you away and trying to shut you, somehow you never stopped caring about me. I've been a real selfish friend and I hope you can forgive me, maybe not now but one day. Please forgive me one day. I regret everything.

From the breakup and all the arguments, I shouldn't have done any of those things. You were all I had left and I still tried to get rid of you. If I were you, I would not forgive me. But it isn't that way. To be honest, I can't even forgive myself right now. So, I'm sorry for doing all those things. Please don't be upset at me for too long, and don't spend your days moping around over poor Maxine.

It's a stupid reason to be upset. Try to remember all the good stuff, the good moments we spent together. Like the nights in Mike's basement or all those times we would sneak out to go see each other. Try and remember. You saved me in so many different ways. Though it might not seem like it right now, and you might not have ever known, but you did. You are and always will be my hero.

I know I wasn't necessarily the best at showing it but I did love you. I still do love you and I wish I could've told you sooner. I just didn't know how. I am beyond proud of you as you continue to amaze me every day with simple things like making the basketball team or your grades. Please don't stop doing what you do, you're going to go so far, I can feel it. Be strong for me and for the others, it won't be easy for any of you.

I'll always be with you, even when you feel most alone. I love you Lucas, please don't forget me.

Sincerely, your Mad Max.

By the time Lucas had finished reading the letter, it was stained with tears. He cried into his hands, dropping the letter onto the floor. Maybe he should've listened to her and not read the letter. He was in utter shock as he'd had no clue that she thought those things. Little did she know, he thought all the same things. As he tried to muffle his sobs, it began to rain, hard drops hitting his window.

Max stirred in his bed, the sound of thunder waking her. She looked around slightly startled, her expression softening when her eyes landed on the Lucas's room. She sat up, looking for him as she rubbed her tired eyes. "Lucas?" She asked, wondering if he was even there. She suddenly heard sniffling and a weight at her feet. Lucas was crying at the foot of the bed. Seeing she was awake, he quickly wiped his eyes alarmed.

"Are you okay?" He asked. Max nodded exhausted. She gave him a look, "Are you?" Nodding, Lucas shrugged as he wiped his nose, "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Sadly, he wasn't very slick. She decided not to mention it again as she didn't feel like making him uncomfortable. She laid back down, burying herself in the sheets. She'd really missed the scent of him during these past few months.

Hesitant, Max shivered when the cold air hit her skin. "Do you think maybe you could come to lay down with me?" Lucas smiled, crawling under the covers to join her. "Yeah, of course," Max's head made its way onto Lucas's chest as he wrapped his arms around her smaller frame. He sucked in a breath not sure what to do. Sure, he'd done this with her before but they weren't necessarily together right now.

"Max?" He asked, unsure about what was going to happen now. Things were definitely going to change. "We'll talk later," Max smiled sighing. "Just appreciate it," And he did. For the rest of the night, Lucas admired her freckled face as she slept beside him. He was never going to let anything bad happen to her ever again. That was a promise. He placed a soft kiss on her head as she nuzzled her head deeper into the crook of his neck. "I love you too Max,"

-