*Roller coaster*

*Requests : Heatherstream88 asked for a one-shot where Lucas and Max are best friends but literally everyone knows they secretly like each other and try to have them confront their feelings. Enjoy!

-

The evening was alive with excitement as the group of friends gathered at a local amusement park, their laughter filling the air. Lucas and Max, among the group's chatter, found themselves walking side by side. Lucas nudged Max gently, a mischievous glint in his eye, "You still scared of rides?" Max rolled her eyes, a playful smirk on her lips. "Me? No."

Lucas pursed his lips, "That's not what you told me last year," Max crossed her arms, "I'm not scared of them! You just-" As if he had heard their conversation, Dustin cut in,  "Race you to the roller coasters!" The sudden challenge from Dustin interrupted their banter, pulling Max into action. She shot a quick, almost panicked look at Lucas, who responded with an encouraging grin.

"Not much of a daredevil after all, eh!" Lucas teased, nudging Max playfully as they hurried after the group. Max tried to keep up the bravado, despite the faint hint of nervousness that tinged her excitement. "I'm not scared of them!" The rush to the roller coasters propelled the group forward, laughter and adrenaline fueling their steps.

As they reached the towering ride, Max stole a fleeting glance at Lucas, a mix of excitement and trepidation flickering in her eyes. Dustin, already seated in a car, called out, "Come on, slowpokes! The real fun's just about to start!" Max gulped, trying to hide her unease as she took her place in line, the anticipation of the ride causing her heart to race.

Lucas stood beside her, offering a reassuring squeeze to her shoulder that eased some of her nerves. "It's not so bad, Max," Lucas whispered, his voice encouraging. The roller coaster roared to life, its rattling ascent followed by a sudden, exhilarating descent. Max clung to Lucas's arm, a mix of exhilaration and fear painting her expression.

The ride soared through loops and twists, eliciting a chorus of screams and laughter from the group. As the roller coaster slowed to a stop, Max stepped off, her legs a bit wobbly but a wide grin on her face.  "Still not scared of rides?" Lucas questioned, eyeing Max's hand wrapped tightly around his bicep.  Max laughed as she quickly let go, a mix of relief and excitement evident in her voice.

"Okay, maybe a little," she admitted. The group huddled together, exchanging stories of their experience on the roller coaster. Will chuckled, looking at Max with a grin. "You were holding onto Lucas for dear life!" Max defensively shook her head as her cheeks turned bright red. "I was not! I just... needed a steady hand. Safety first, okay?"

Dustin interjected with a chuckle. "I thought you were trying to crush the poor guy's arm!" Lucas laughed, raising his arms in defense. "Hey, I'm just here for moral support!" Max shot Lucas a grateful smile, the adrenaline still coursing through her veins. El rolled her eyes at the pair, "Mhm."

The amusement park's lights cast a vibrant glow as the friends continued teasing Max and Lucas about their roller coaster escapade. Will chimed in once again, chuckling at their banter. "Seriously, you two are something else. It's like watching a rom-com in real life." Max rolled her eyes, trying to mask her flushed cheeks.

"Oh, stop it! We're just friends, you all know that." But the knowing glances exchanged between their friends told a different story. El grinned, nudging Max playfully. "Can't hide behind the 'just friends' excuse forever, can you?" Max shot her friend a playful glare. "You're enjoying this way too much!"

Mike chimed in with a smirk. "You guys do realize that everyone knows, right?" Lucas and Max exchanged a sheepish glance, a mixture of embarrassment and amusement on their faces.Dustin joined in, adding with a grin, "It's okay to admit it when there's obviously something. going on!" Lucas cleared his throat, looking at Max with a hint of uncertainty. "Um, I mean, we've been friends forever... It's not like that,"

Max's heart sank, a sudden wave of disappointment washing over her at Lucas's uncertain words. She tried to hide the hurt behind a forced smile, attempting to brush off the moment. "Yeah, just friends." Their friends exchanged awkward glances, sensing the shift in the atmosphere. Will, noticing Max's reaction, realized the gravity of his words. "Hey, we didn't mean to make it weird,"

Dustin nodded, "Yeah, we were just teasing."Lucas, catching the change in Max's demeanor, felt a pang of regret. "I didn't mean it like that, Max. I just..." Max nodded, masking her disappointment. "No, no, I feel the same." She attempted to play it off, plastering a smile on her face despite the sinking feeling in her chest.

Their friends, sensing the tension, tried to steer the conversation elsewhere, eager to diffuse the awkwardness that lingered in the air. Mike cleared his throat, trying to lighten the mood. "So, who's up for another ride?" Dustin chimed in enthusiastically, eager to shift the focus. "Yeah, let's go hit the Ferris wheel!" The group murmured in agreement, their attempts to move past the moment palpable.

Lucas shot Max a concerned look, regret etched on his face. He wanted to say something, to clarify, but the words seemed to escape him in the moment. Max, feeling a mix of disappointment and confusion, forced a smile, willing herself to enjoy the rest of the evening despite the unexpected turn of events.

As they made their way to the next ride, she tried to shake off the lingering ache in her heart, hoping the fun-filled distraction would help ease the sting of what felt like thrown away feelings. El looped her arm around Max's, sensing her sadness. "Don't worry, it'll come," Max sighed, "Yeah, right,"

-