*Drunk words are sober thought's*

*Requests : N3VERC0MINGBACK asked for a one-shot where Lucas is drunk and Max is taking care of him, during this time they are only friends and Lucas finishes the night by confessing his undying love for her. Also, Heatherstream88 asked for a one-shot similar to this so I just kinda combined two requests together for this one, I hope u don't mind. Enjoy!!

Plus, one more thing. I just wanted to thank you all for all the love and support you've given me on this story. It's reached over 50k reads and just a little over 1k votes in less than 3 months. It hasn't been easy for me lately and you guys just make me feel important and loved, I just love u guys, thank u :) xoxo

-

Max shook her head at Lucas's slurred banter from beside her. With her light eyes still glued on the road ahead of her, she tried to stay focused on safely getting him home in one piece. She knew how much his parents trusted her in these kinds of circumstances with their son and she wasn't aiming to break that trust anytime soon. They had grown up together after all. 

Lucas laughed to himself snapping Max out of her thoughts. At this point, he was just saying whatever first came to his mind. Max couldn't even decipher some of the things he was trying to communicate to her. The more she heard him speak the more she doubted bringing him back home. I mean, come on, she couldn't possibly let his parents see him like this. 

They'd not only kill Max for letting this happen but they'd also kill Lucas. But beyond that, Max knew when Lucas would be sober, he too would kill her. What kind of friend would she be then? A dead one sure, but she couldn't just watch him get grounded while being the reason he got into trouble. Plus, if he was, then she wouldn't be able to see him for weeks out of time. 

Max couldn't have that. So, she made the best decision for this type of situation. Max drove past his house and brought Lucas back to hers instead. She knew that her mom was out of town for business and her stepdad wouldn't be home for hours. The bar had always been his very first priority. Not noticing the change of route, Lucas only kept blabbing.

While he rested his head against her car window, Max wondered if she'd find him cute if he tried shutting his mouth for once. Not that she didn't think that already... Finally arriving back at her house, Max did her best to help Lucas inside. She threw his arm around her shoulders, guiding him towards her front door while she hoped not to be crushed by his larger body.

Bringing him back to her bedroom, Max sat him down on her unmade bed. "Don't move," Running to Billy's old untouched room, she pushed away the thoughts that crept into her mind. She only needed to concentrate on getting Lucas some fresh clothes from his dresser. Sure, Billy wouldn't necessarily approve of Lucas for Max's but he was dead now. 

Hearing a loud bang come from her room she quickly jogged back. It was safe to say Max was glad to only see Lucas observing the items placed on her desk. The bang had most likely been caused by one of her thick school books falling onto her old wooden floors. Slightly relieved, Max sighed as she passed him the clothes.

Once he'd changed, Max found herself setting up a bed for herself on the floor by her actual bed. Being the bigger person in the situation or rather the sober one, she assumed Lucas would prefer her bed. Only because he was pissed drunk. Getting comfortable in its thick sheets Lucas turned to look down at Max on the floor. Genuinely interested he questioned, "Do you love me?"

Taken back by Lucas's deep question, Max coughed as she covered her small body with the larger knit blanket. "O-Of course I love you," Max paused as she cleared her dry throat, "You're my best friend, Lucas." Though, something in Max's bones wished that they weren't. Lucas's face softened as he sighed and pulled the delicate blankets to his chest. 

"There's something I should- I should say something," Max furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "Okay?" "Look, I know I'm like.. Me... And that's not always good, but what if I liked you." Max laughed as she rolled over so that she was no longer facing him. "Lucas, you're drunk," "No- No, will you just listen?" Max gulped slowly nodding from her spot on the floor. 

"I like being around you, Max. A lot. I like when you're happy and I... I like your face." Max smiled as a light blush covered her freckled cheeks. "Your face is nice... But, you're more nice. I want to be around you- And your face a lot." Her face burning with every word Lucas uttered, Max buried her head deep into her pillow. "If you ever got hurt... It'd automatically hurt me."

"And not just- cause I'd jump in front of whatever was gonna hurt you." Lucas laughed to himself as he reached for Max on the ground. "I think you should kiss me." Shaking his hand from her wrist, Max shook her head once again. Tears forming in her eyes Max sniffed, "Stop it, Lucas. You're drunk. Stop toying with me." She knew Lucas did not love her, let alone like her. 

He was just treating her like all those other girls at parties. How could he possibly ever love- Or like a girl like her? He was her best friend. That's all. He was only drunk and he certainly didn't mean any of it. "Max I'm being serious," His tone both louder and sterner he went on before Max snapped. "Just stop it, okay? I'm not some girl you can just say this too and expect me to agree."

The room suddenly quieted as Max wiped her eyes. "Sleep," With her words, Lucas did as she said and fell asleep as if nothing had happened. Sadly, he forgot everything when he'd woken up but Max hadn't. She'd thought about it every single day for months. Though Lucas had meant what he'd said all those nights ago, Max would've never believed him. 

-