*Behind the door*

*Requests : YourMaxMayfield_11 asked for a one-shot of Lucas finding out Max was living in an abusive household. I hope this is what you wanted and that you all enjoy!

-

Max stood in the kitchen, her arms crossed tightly over her chest while she glared defiantly at her stepfather, Neil. His face was contorted with anger, veins pulsing at his temples. His voice suddenly boomed as he threw the glass coffee pot to the tiles, "Can't you ever do anything right, Max!" Max's jaw clenched, her fists tightening at her sides. "I do my best," she retorted, her voice trembling with suppressed rage.

The older man scoffed, shaking his head while he eyed the spilt coffee at his feet. "I don't know why I bother keeping you around," Max rolled her eyes at his words, a soft grimace displayed on her features. "I'm not the one who's always messing things up," Neil's eyes narrowed at her whisper, his fists clenching at his sides. "Watch your mouth, girl!" he spat, advancing towards her with menacing intent.

Max held her ground, refusing to back down. But deep down, fear gnawed at her insides, a constant reminder of the danger lurking beneath Neil's short temper. She longed to escape, to run far away from the home that had become her prison. She knew what he was capable of. She'd seen what he'd done to Billy and her mom. Max's heart pounded as Neil's heavy footsteps echoed across the tiled floor. "Neil, please," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

Neil's sneer deepened as he loomed over her, "You think you can talk back to me, girl? You think you can scare me?" His voice dripped with malice, sending shivers down Max's spine. The girl's breath caught in her throat, her body trembling with a mixture of fear and defiance. "I-I just wanted to help... I'm sorry, I didn't do it right," she stammered, her voice wavering.

Neil's laughter was cruel, his eyes squinting at Max. "Help? You're nothing, Max. A worthless piece of—" Max's lip quivered as she turned away, her heart pounding with the desperate urge to escape his oppressive presence. Before she could take a single step, Neil's hand shot out, gripping her wrist with a vice-like grip. Max winced, her breath catching in her throat as she struggled against his hold.

"Let go of me," Her eyes plead for mercy, anger in her voice. Blood rushed to her ears as she tried to wrench her wrist free from Neil's grasp. "You can't always treat me like this." Neil's grip tightened, his expression darkening with rage. "You think you can talk to me like that? I'm not going anywhere. Don't you forget it." Max's chest heaved with frustration, "Just let go!" She pushed, the man stumbling back into the cabinet.

The man's eyes widened in shock as he leant against the cabinets, momentarily stunned by Max's sudden burst of resistance. His grip loosened on her wrist, giving her the opportunity to break free and step away. Max held her ground, her chest rising and falling with each labored breath. She watched Neil warily, ready to defend herself if necessary. The man's shock quickly turned to rage as he regained his footing, his face contorted with fury.

"You little brat!" he seethed, his voice dripping with anger as he walked back towards Max. Her heart pounded in her chest as she backed away, her eyes darting around the kitchen for any means of escape. "Stay away from me, Neil," she warned, her voice trembling but firm. Ignoring her plea, Neil lunged forward, his hands reaching out to grab her once more. "I'll teach you!" he roared, his rage consuming him as he closed the distance between them.

As Neil's hand grazed her shoulder, Max's instincts kicked in. With a surge of adrenaline, she bolted towards the hallway, her feet pounding against the floor as she raced to her room. With trembling hands, she fumbled for the doorknob, her heart hammering in her chest. Behind her, Neil's enraged shouts echoed through the empty house, pushing Max to run even faster.

Finally, she managed to slam the door shut, quickly twisting it's lock. As Max leaned against the door, trying to steady her rapid breaths, the sound of Neil's fists pounding against the wood made the younger girl shiver. His muffled shouts pierced through the silence of the house, a stark reminder of the danger that lurked just outside her room. With each thunderous blow against the door, Max's resolve hardened.

She knew she couldn't stay hidden in her room forever, but for now, it was the only place she had. Later that evening, when Lucas was sure Neil wasn't home, he'd decided to go over and check on Max. For one reason or another, he hadn't heard from his girlfriend all day. As he entered the empty house, he searched for the girl. "Max?" He called out, concern lacing his voice.

He approached her closed bedroom door, "Max, are you okay?" Inside, Max's breath caught at the sound of her boyfriend's voice. Relief flooded her veins knowing Lucas was there. She hurried to the door, unlocking it and pulling it open just enough to peek through. "Lucas, it's me," she whispered urgently, her eyes wide with fear. "He... he lost it again." Lucas's expression darkened with worry as he took in the fear etched on Max's puffy face.

She must've been crying. Without hesitation, he pushed the door open wider and pulled her into him. He held her in a protective embrace. "Hey, it's okay." he murmured, holding her close as he glanced over her shoulder. Max clung to his body, the weight of the event crashing down on her. "I can't do this anymore, Lucas. I'm so tired of living like this," she confessed, her voice barely above a whisper.

Lucas's jaw clenched. "I know, you're safe now," he assured, meeting Max's gaze with unwavering determination. "You don't have to. You're coming to my place, okay?" he promised, his voice resonating with certainty. As they stood together in the dimly lit hallway, Max felt a flicker of hope ignite within her. With Lucas by her side, she knew she could face whatever lay ahead. "Okay," she whispered, a sense of gratitude flooding her heart.

-