*Tess*

*Requests : AshtonDooley0 asked for a Dear Zoe one shot where Max and Lucas go find Tess, her only sibling left after Billy's death. I hope you like this, I've never actually watched Dear Zoe so I apologize if it's not very accurate. Enjoy!

-

Max sat on the edge of her bed, staring at the old photo album in her hands. She flipped through the pages, each image telling a story of a family that seemed so perfect on the surface. Well, until the divorce. Max's childhood hadn't been easy, it was basically a fact. In California, amidst the many sun-kissed beaches, Max had let herself be happy for a hot minute. But reality soon crashed down on her when she'd been forced to discover the truth.

It wasn't exactly easy for a ten year old to understand her father's infidelity. Tucked away in her room, Max could only sense the shift that was progressively tearing her family apart. Right as ever, the girl left the sunny shores of California with her mother a few weeks later. With a heavy heart, Max packed her belongings, leaving behind her father and the sound of her childhood for the unknown promise that held Hawkins, Indiana.

Their journey to Hawkins was not without its own challenges. Along the way, Max's mother, a wreck, crossed paths with, Neil, a man whose charm masked something strange. Even so, Max could sense it at her young age. Along with Neil, was his son, Billy. The teen was a constant presence, his brash demeanour and sharp tongue leaving Max feeling even smaller then she already litteraly was.

Despite her mother's attempts of a fresh start, Neil and Billy joined them in their new life in the town or Hawkins. Now older, Max's world had not only been forced to adapt to a new home and school, but to the constant ache of longing for the family she once had. Seeing Max lost in the images of the album, Lucas gently brushed a finger against her arm, breaking her trance. "Max, you've been quiet all day," he remarked softly, concern evident in his voice.

Max simply shrugged. With this, Lucas gave her a nudge, "Come on, what's on your mind?" He poked her side, Max finally taking a deep breath and steeling herself for the conversation ahead. "I found out something, something important, while I was in California with my Dad." Listening intently, Lucas did begin to piece together his girlfriend's odd behaviour since the trip a few weeks ago.

"What is it?" He asked, his head by her shoulder. Her voice barely above a whisper, Max shrugged again, "You know how my dad had an affair with my mom," Lucas nodded. "Well, apparently that left me with a little sister..." Lucas's eyes widened in shock, "You have a sister?" Max pursed her lips as she sunk back into her pillows, "Tess." Lucas shook his head in surprise, "Wow, that's-" he stopped himself; amazing, awful, what was this?

Max ran an anxious hand through her red hair, her eyes reflecting the thoughts swirling in her head. "I can't stop thinking about her, Lucas." she confessed, her voice quiet. "He hardly kept in contact with her. She's all alone out there somewhere, and I just... I-I need to find her." Max looked down, her fingers picking at her short fingernails. "After Billy... she's all I have left." Lucas quickly nodded in understanding, "Then we'll find her, babe. Wherever she is," he assured.

Weeks passed, Max and Lucas finally standing nervously outside the address they had found for Tess in Pittsburg. Max's heart raced as she raised her hand to knock on the door. Lucas squeezed her hand reassuringly before she could. After a few moments, the door creaked open to reveal a young woman, perhaps in her early twenties, with a curious expression. Behind her, a little girl peeked out, her eyes wide with curiosity. "Um, hi," Max began, her voice trembling slightly as she looked down at the girl.

"Are you... Tess?" The young woman's expression stiffened as she pushed the little girl behind herself. "Yeah. Can I help you?" Max hands shook as she looked at the woman, "I'm Max. I'm her sister" The woman's eyes widened in shock, mirroring the same disbelief Max had felt when she first learned of Tess's existence. She glanced back at the little girl, then back at Max and Lucas. "Come in," She said finally, stepping aside to let them enter. "We have a lot to talk about."

Max and Lucas settled nervously onto the couch in Tess's living room, their hearts pounding. Tess stood beside the woman, her small frame tense with shyness yet her eyes curious as they darted between Max and Lucas. After a moment of awkward silence, Lucas offered Tess a warm smile. "Hi, Tess," he said gently. "It's nice to meet you." Tess's cheeks flushed slightly, but she managed a shy smile in return. She took a few tentative steps closer to Lucas, her curiosity piqued by his friendly words.

"Tess, honey," The woman spoke up, breaking the silence. "Would you like to ask Max and her... boyfriend any questions?" Tess hesitated for a moment before nodding, her eyes still fixed on Lucas. "Can I sit next to him?" she asked softly, surprising both Max and Lucas. Lucas glanced at Max, seeking her approval, and she nodded with a reassuring smile. "Yeah, sure! Come sit," Lucas said warmly, scooting over on the couch to make room for her. With a deep breath, Max pushed aside her nerves and focused on Tess.

"So," she began, her voice meek. "How are you feeling about all of this?" Tess shifted nervously beside Lucas, her gaze darting between the pair. "I... I don't know," she admitted softly. "But... I'm happy to have a sister."bMax smiled warmly at Tess, her heart swelling with affection for her shy little sister. "I'm happy to meet you too, Tess." Tess nodded, a small smile tugging at her lips. She turned back to Lucas, "Can we play a game later?" She asked. Lucas grinned, delighted by Tess's request. "Absolutely,"

-