*The start*

Requests : YourMaxMayfield_11 asked for a one-shot about when Lucas and Max first met and became best friends with hidden feelings.

-

Lucas glanced across the crowded classroom, spotting the new girl, Max, sitting alone by the window. Dustin nudged him, whispering excitedly about befriending her. "Why don't we just invite her to lunch? She looks so sad," Undeterred by her outsider status like everyone else, the two boys approached her, determined to break the ice. Lucas cleared his throat, "Hey, Maxine, right? I'm Lucas and this is my friend Dustin, mind if we-" The girl quickly sat up in her seat, "It's Max."

Lucas nodded, respecting Max's independence. "Got it. Max. We just thought you might want some company." The curly-haired boy exchanged a look with Lucas, feeling the pressure of breaking through Max's initial defences, "No pressure." He added. Max leaned back, looking out the window. "Listen, I appreciate it, really. But I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me just because I'm new." Lucas, taken aback by her reply, furrowed his brows, "W-We don't feel bad for you! That's not what we meant-"

"Whatever, some people don't need friends, you know," Max interrupted, a hint of defensiveness in her tone. With eyes wide, Dustin backed away, "Fair enough," Dustin yanking on Lucas's sleeve, the darker boy didn't move and stayed still in front of the girl. "Alright... But, if you ever change your mind, we'll be around." The girl pursed her lips as she watched the two boys walk away, "I won't," She added, finality in her voice. Dustin grimaced, "I think she's starting to like us!" Lucas shook his head, "Yeah, right!"

One afternoon, near the bikes after school, trouble brewed when Troy and his cronies targeted Max. She swiftly grabbed her skateboard, trying to ignore their comments. Troy sneered, "Look who thinks she can ride with the cool kids now." Max rolled her eyes, attempting to skate away from them, but Troy stepped in her path. "New girl needs to learn her place." Lucas witnessing the scene, clenched his fists.

Dustin, sensing trouble by the looks of his friend, intervened. The boys already had enough problems with Troy and the bullies without Max. "Lucas, maybe we should just go." Lucas shot him a look, "No way. I'm not letting them bully her too." He perked up, walking forward, "Leave her alone, Troy." Troy laughed, "Midnight thinks he's a hero. Cute." Max, glancing in Lucas's direction, muttered, "I can handle myself." But Lucas stood firm, ready to defend her against their taunts.

Troy, with a sinister grin, taunted further, "Come on, Midnight, show us what you got then. We could use a good laugh." Max, holding her skateboard like a shield, quipped, "I've seen your idea of fun. Not impressed." Troy raised his arms, "Woah, new girl's got an attitude," Dustin, growing uneasy, whispered to Lucas, "This is getting out of hand! Let's just leave!" Lucas, his jaw clenched, ignored Dustin and shot back at Troy, "Leave her alone, or you'll regret it." Troy's cronies chuckled, but there was an uncertain pause in their bravado.

Dustin, frustrated, muttered under his breath, "You're gonna regret this hero act." Troy, sneering looked to Max, "Guess you really do need these losers to protect you, huh?" That was the last straw for Lucas. In a swift move, he landed a punch on Troy's face. Simultaneously, Max, fueled by anger, delivered a swift kick to Troy's groin area. The bullies winced in pain, and a shocked hush fell over the scene as the consequences of their actions played out.

Troy, despite the initial shock, regained his composure, wiping blood from his nose with an evil grin. "You guys are so dead." Feeling the threat, Max, Lucas, and Dustin wasted no time. Lucas grabbed his bike, and Max, skateboard in her arms, jumped on the back. The trio pedaled furiously, the distant shouts of Troy and his friends fading behind them. As they biked far from the scene, the adrenaline pumping, they finally found a moment of relief, having escaped the clutches of the bullies.

The wind whistled past, a sense of relief settling over them. Dustin caught his breath, "Shit. That was close." Lucas, steering the bike, nodded in agreement. "Yeah," Max, still gripping her skateboard, offered a small smile. "Thanks, guys. I guess I might've misjudged you." Lucas chuckled, "Well, you got us now, for better or worse." As they pedaled away, the group strengthened, and the trio realized that their impromptu alliance had turned into a genuine friendship. Especially Max and Lucas.

-