*Deep water*

Requests : sadesinksimp asked for a one-shot of the party having a beach day when Max somehow drowns and Lucas saves her. Hope you all enjoy this, I don't think I've ever written any tying like this before so, let me know!!

-

The sun hung low in the sky as the party, comprised of Lucas, Max, Mike, Dustin, El, and Will, reveled in the summer air at the beach. Laughter and joy echoed along with the gentle waves as they played in the surf. Wanting to shake off the heat, the boys threw a football around, their calves submerged in the warm water. Mike tossed it to Dustin, who sent it spiraling towards Will. Laughter and yells could be heard, the sun casting a warm glow on their carefree play.

El and Max, deciding to soak up the sun, lay on their towels, chatting and enjoying the beach scene. El sensed the playful energy of the boys and occasionally giggled at their antics. As the afternoon sun reached its peak, Max felt the heat intensify. Being a red head and all, she could practically feel her skin burning. "I can't take this anymore," She declared, sitting up. "I need to cool off." El, feeling the warmth herself, agreed, "Yeah, let's swim." They headed towards the sea, leaving their towels behind.

The boys continued their game, unaware of the girls' decision to cool off. Mike tossed the ball to Dustin, who, in turn, aimed it back at Will. The rhythmic sound of waves accompanied their laughter. Meanwhile, Max and El waded into the refreshing water, the cool embrace providing relief from the scorching sun. El, not the most confident swimmer, stayed close to shore, content to watch Max enjoy the waves. She was the one from California after all. Max, feeling the calm of the sea, swam further into the ocean.

The rhythmic sound of waves surrounded her, and the saltwater embraced her. Unbeknownst to El, Max's excitement turned into a moment of panic as she found herself caught in a sudden undertow. Seeing Max struggling, El could sesnse something was wrong. She quickly looked around and gasped as she saw Max go under. "Max! Lucas!" She shouted, urgency evident in her voice. Lucas, still playing with the boys, snapped to attention at El's cry.

Hearing his girlfriend's name, without hesitation, he sprinted towards the water. El watched anxiously as Lucas reached Max just in time. He wrapped his arms around her smaller body, pulling her back up to the surface. As Lucas carried Max out of the water, her unconscious form resting against him, El anxiously rushed to their side. "Max, are you okay?" El asked, concern etched on her face. Lucas, still focused on ensuring Max's well-being, replied, "She's breathing. We need to get her to shore."

He carried Max with care, navigating the waves breaking onto the beach. The rest of the group followed, worry and relief mingling in the air.  Concern etched on his face, Lucas gently laid Max down on the hot sand. She lay there, unconscious, as water trickled from her mouth. Max stirred, coughing up water as she regained consciousness. Lucas knelt worried beside her, "Take your time, Max, you're okay," Lucas reassured her, a mix of both relief and concern in his brown eyes.

Max, embarrassed by the attention, managed a weak smile. "I-I'm okay," she mumbled, pushing herself up. "Thank you. Just got a little carried away." Lucas, relieved to see her conscious, gently teased, "Carried away, huh? You scared us, Max." Blushing, Max gave a sheepish smile. "Sorry," Lucas chuckled, his fingers brushing through her wet hair. "Just glad you're okay. We were worried." El, placing a reassuring hand on Max's shoulder, chimed in, "Don't ever do that again!"

Max, despite her attempt to play it off, remained visibly shaken. "Come on, guys, I'm fine," she said, her voice wavering slightly. Lucas, noticing her genuine distress, put a comforting arm around her. "Let's go lay down, okay?" Max nodded, grateful for him, but her eyes betrayed a lingering unease. "Yeah, okay." As time passed and the beach day continued, Max and Lucas found a quiet spot under the shade of an umbrella. The sun, now casting a warm glow as it began its descent, painted the sky in hues of orange and pink.

The two laying on a blanket, Lucas turned to Max, concern etched on his face. "You sure you're okay, Max?" Max, looking out at the sea, took a deep breath. "Yeah, just shook me up a bit, you know? Didn't realize how powerful it could be." Lucas squeezed his girlfriend's hand gently. "It was scary for all of us. But we're here, and you're okay. You're safe," "Thank you," Max smiled, her gratitude evident as she rested her head against Lucas's shoulder. "Y'know, for saving me and all." Lucas chuckled, his fingers intertwining with hers. "Always. Couldn't just let my girl drown."

They lay in companionable silence, the rhythmic sounds of waves creating a soothing backdrop. Max, feeling a mix of emotions, finally spoke, "It was weird. One moment we were all laughing, and the next, it's like... everything changed. Lucas nodded, his gaze still fixed on the horizon. "Yeah, but I was there. That's what matters." He gently squeezed her hand, a silent reassurance. Max sighed, her eyes reflecting the fading sunlight. "I guess, I just wasn't expecting it. But having you there, it made all the difference. It makes all the difference."

Lucas turned to her, a soft smile playing on his lips. "As long as i'm here, I promise, nothing bad will ever happen to you." he whispered, his eyes filled with a sincerity that echoed the waves' gentle lull. Max, moved by his words, leaned in, their closeness silent in the fading light of the sunset. The beach, now quieter as the day transitioned into evening, held a sense of peace. Max and Lucas, wrapped in each other's warmth, found comfort in the simple beauty of the moment, grateful for each other even in the unexpected twists of life.

-