*Is it over*

*Requests : maddiecheers03 asked for a one-shot of Lucas and Max breaking up. This is sad and kinda confusing so brace yourself! Enjoy ;)

-

The tension had reached its peak, the air heavy in Max's small bedroom. Lucas looked at Max, his expression a mix of regret and uncertainty as her words hung in the stifling silence. "You know what, I- I don't think this is working,"

Lucas finally managed to say, his voice filled with frustration and a sense of resignation. Max's eyes widened in disbelief, her initial shock morphing into a fleeting hurt that she tried to mask. "What... What are you saying?"

Lucas hesitated, the weight of his realization bearing down on him. "I don't know if we can keep doing this," he admitted, his voice strained with the weight of his words.

The room seemed to shrink around them, suffocating in its silence. Max, her emotions swirling, stood up, her arms crossed tightly, a mix of hurt and defiance etched across her features. "Get out."

Lucas's heart sank at her words, his attempt to salvage their unraveling relationship met with a resolute rejection. "Can we please talk about this?" He pleaded, desperation lacing his words.

But Max shook her head, her voice firm and filled with pain. "No! Get out!" "Max-" Lucas attempted, his voice trailing off as she turned away from him, her shoulders shaking with hidden tears.

"You're the one dumping me right now! Get out!" Max's voice cracked. "Can't we just sit down and.... try to talk this out?" Lucas pleaded, his voice tinged with a desperate hope for reconciliation.

Max shook her head, her resolve faltering. "No. No. Not this time." The ache in her voice pierced through Lucas, the realization of their irreparable situation settling heavily on his shoulders

. He wanted to reach out, to erase the hurt etched in her shaking frame, but the words she spoke felt like a stab. "This entire thing was a mistake. We were a mistake," Lucas's chest tightened at her words. "Max... Come here,"

Lucas implored softly, his voice filled with a blend of sorrow and yearning. Max, her face streaked with tears, hesitated for a moment before slowly turning around to face him.

Her pale face was flushed, her eyes red and swollen. Lucas opened his arms and without a word, Max stumbled forward, collapsing into his arms as she sobbed, her tears flowing freely onto his shirt.

Lucas held her close, gently rubbing her back in a comforting gesture, feeling the tremors of her sobs echoing through him. Max clung to him, her grip tight as if afraid to let go. "Y- You promised me you wouldn't leave me."

Max's trembling voice cut through the heaviness of the moment. "I- I know. I'm so sorry, Max." Lucas whispered, his voice filled with remorse and an awareness of his own mistakes. He held her tighter as if trying to make up for the pain he had caused, his own emotions.

At that moment, a surge of regret washed over him, realizing the weight of his words and the irreversible impact they held. He wished he could retract his earlier statement and take back the hurtful admission that had shattered Max.

"I... I was wrong." Lucas murmured, his voice barely audible, heavy with the weight of his regret. "I shouldn't have said that. I- I love you." Max's grip on him softened, her tear-stained face lifting slightly from his chest as she looked up at him, her eyes searching his for any semblance of hope or sincerity.

Lucas met her gaze, his eyes filled with tears. "I don't want to lose you," he admitted, the vulnerability of his confession laid bare. "We were arguing and... It just got to me. I need you, Max." He held her face gently between his hands, a plea in his eyes.

Max blinked her expression a mix of pain, hope, and uncertainty. "I-I don't know," Max stammered, her voice trembling. "You were going too... You almost did." Lucas nodded, his own heart heavy with the magnitude of the situation. "Max, baby, please,"

Lucas murmured, releasing her gently and taking a step back, giving her space. "Forgive me. I'll give you time and I'll be here..." Lucas held her gaze. "I'll wait for you, Max," Lucas said softly, the sincerity in his voice echoing the depth of his remorse. With a final glance filled with regret and hope, he turned and left. What had he done.

-