*Emergency room*

*Requests : maddiecheers03 asked for a one-shot of Lucas and Max arguing about something that involves their child. Hope you enjoy, this one is angsty but kinda has a happy ending.

-

In the sterile waiting room of the ER, Max and Lucas sat along side each other in a tense silence. The nurse bandaging their child's burned hand disappeared behind the white doors. Max glared at Lucas from her spot, frustration boiling over, "You shouldn't have let her use the stove."Lucas, defensive, shot back, "I was upstairs. I didn't know."

Max clenched her jaw at her husband's words, "Well, it's your job to know! You can't just leave her alone in the kitchen." Lucas sighed, "I was folding laundry, it's not like I can watch her every second. Accidents happen." Max, annoyed. retorted, "Accidents happen? She's just a kid, Lucas. It's not rocket science to keep an eye on her."

Lucas groaned, "Jesus Christ, you're acting like I'm neglecting her! I was upstairs for a second and now you're acting like I'm an irresponsible parent." Max's eyes narrowed, "I'm just saying you should've been there, Lucas. This isn't about blaming; it's about acknowledging that our child got hurt because you weren't paying enough attention."

Lucas sighed , "I can't be everywhere at once. I'm doing my best, Max. I can't be a perfect parent, and neither can you." "I was at work. There was nothing I could've done." "Well, maybe if you weren't so controlling, she wouldn't feel the need to do things behind our backs." Max, frustration etched lines on her face, "Your 'best' is clearly not enough if she's ending up in the ER!"

Lucas rolled his eyes at his wife's rambling, his head in his hands. "We can't keep playing with her safety like this." The tension in the air thickened, their disagreement echoing in the halls. Lucas, his voice rising, countered, "I'm not playing with anything! You think I wanted her to get hurt? This isn't all on me, Max. I think you need to relax."

"Relax?! My daughter has burns all over her left hand!" Max's voice cracked with a mix of anger and worry, "Because you weren't paying attention to her! I'm not asking for the impossible, just some basic responsibility." Lucas, frustrated, shot back, "You're making it sound like I don't care. We can't control everything."

The nurse returned, interrupting their argument, "The doctor will be with you shortly." The couple, still simmering with tension, exchanged tense glances. As the nurse left, a heavy silence settled between Max and Lucas. Finally, Lucas broke the quiet, a worried sigh escaping his lips, "I'm sorry, okay? I don't want to fight, especially not here." His eyes pleaded for understanding.

Max's expression remained hardened, "You said what you wanted to say, Lucas." She stood up, leading the way towards the room where their child awaited the doctor. "Max, I didn't mean that," But the tension lingered, and their silent exchange conveyed more than words ever could. Max's stern expression softened upon entering the room where their daughter awaited with the doctor.

The little one, her hand delicately wrapped, greeted them with a shy "Hiiiii." Unable to resist, Max's demeanor shifted, and she gently inquired, "Oh, baby, are you okay?" Despite the unspoken tension, the genuine concern for their daughter overshadowed their previous argument. "Mommy was so worried about you," Their daughter's eyes sparkled as she replied, "I'm okay, Mommy."

Max knelt down, her worry transforming into a warm smile. "Daddy took care of me," Max sent Lucas a grin, "Is that so?" Lucas, witnessing the exchange, felt a subtle easing of the tension between them. "Only because you were such a brave girl." Max, brushing a strand of hair from their daughter's face, continued, "Well, you two make a good team," Their daughter nodded enthusiastically, her eyes wide with excitement.

Lucas, joined in the playful banter, "Almost as good as Mom and Dad, right?" Max chuckled, "Oh, you might have some competition here, honey." Laughter filled the room, washing away the remnants of tension, replaced by the warmth of reassurance. "Just, don't play with the stove anymore, okay?" "Okay, daddy,"

-