*Hurting*

*Requests : AGirlWhoLoveAvengers asked for a one-shot where Max comes to Lucas unexpectedly, and for the first time she sees Lucas's vulnerable side. Max is there to comfort him and shows him just how much she really does care for him. This might be my new favourite one-shot of this book! However, it is quite depressing.

-

Max pushed Lucas's front door open with a sigh. Looking around she was surprised when she saw no one inside. "Lucas!" Max sang, calling out for him. But weirdly, she received no reply. With that, she dropped her things by his couch and started to walk up toward his bedroom. He probably hadn't heard her Max thought, but that was far from the case.

Lucas had clearly heard Max enter his family's home, just like he did every Wednesday night after she finished work. There was no change in plans, it was simply routine at this point in the couple's lives. Regardless, on this particular Wednesday night, something terrible had occurred only a few hours before. Maybe terrible was an understatement for this occurrence.

Lucas hadn't even had the time to tell Max about it yet. The only people who currently knew about it were his few aunts and himself. Lucas slumped buried in the deep blue sheets of his bed, the same place he'd been when he'd first heard the news. He couldn't bring himself to move just yet. He felt like he'd never be able to move from here. Not soon and not ever. 

It was understandable due to the circumstances, could you ever really blame him? "Babe, I'm home," His girlfriend repeated softly as she gently knocked on his bedroom door. Lucas quickly sat up, wiping his eyes and clearing his throat. "Come in," He coughed as Max's head peeked into his dark room. She smiled as she jumped into his bed to join him, "Hi," 

She buried herself under the covers with him, her head finding its place by his muscular shoulder. "Early night?" She asked, a little confused about why he was already in bed at this time. It was only around nine-thirty on a Wednesday, that was an awfully early time for Lucas to go to bed at. He shrugged, turning around to face her. 

Pushing a piece of hair away from her face Lucas forced out a small smile. "Just tired," He lied as he buried his head in Max's neck. Noticing the dark circles that hadn't been there this morning, Max pressed a hand against the back of his neck. "Are you sick, baby?" "No." Max continued to scan over his hurt features, "Are you sure you're feeling okay?" "I'm fine." 

Lucas groaned swatting his girlfriend's hand away from his forehead. "Lucas-" "I said I'm fine Max!" Trying to change the subject Max sighed as she laid back down. "So, when are you're parents going to be home?" Lucas sniffed, rolling over so that his back was facing her. He just couldn't bring himself to look at her while he heard those words.

Sure, Max had good intentions at the moment but she hadn't known what had happened previously during the day. "They're not coming home." Furrowing her eyebrows, Max frowned. "What do you mean?" "They aren't coming back, Max." "So.. tomorrow or..?" A tear managed to slip from Lucas's eye but he was quick to brush it away. "Never." 

Sensing something was now wrong, Max tugged Lucas around so he could face her. "Is there something you aren't telling me?" Max asked concerned, though Lucas simply looked away from her eyes. "Cause I feel like I'm missing something..." Lucas whimpered, more tears slipping from his eyes. "Did something happen while I was gone?"  

Though, this time instead of him having to wipe them himself Max did. "What happened Lucas?" Max cooed softly while she took him into her comforting and loving arms. She rubbed his back gently letting him let out all of his sadness. "It should have been me." Lucas managed to finally speak, heavy sobs taking over his entire body.

Still confused by what he meant but too afraid to ask more questions, Max continued to listen intently. "It's okay, I'm here," His body shook against hers while he cried, "They're gone, Max." "Let it all out. Take your time." "No Max, you don't understand," He wept as he coughed through his hot tears. "They're d-dead." He shuttered, Max's face dropping at his words. "W-What?"

Lucas wiped his eyes, trying to sit up against his girlfriend's tight hold. Mumbling under his breath, he cursed at himself for being such a coward and crying in front of her like this. She would never see him the same way after this obviously, he was a mess. "It's okay to cry," Max tried reaching for his face only for her hand to be pushed away.

Groaning he got up from his spot in his bed. Beginning to pace, he aggressively wiped his face. "God, what is wrong with me?" "Nothing is wrong with you Lucas, this is a big deal, it's normal to feel like this-" "No, you're going to hate me now," He wailed. "What? I could never hate you, honey," Max spoke softly, standing up as she pulled her hysterical boyfriend into a tight hug. 

"I got you now," She held him tightly as she traced small shapes across his toned back. "Everything is going to be fine. I promise you, Lucas." Reassuring him as he did for her all those times before, Max rocked their bodies back and forth. "Don't worry, it'll be okay," She uttered, Lucas letting out a few odd murmurs once every few minutes.

His tears didn't seem like they were going to cease anytime soon. "We'll get through this together, don't you worry." Still crying Lucas whimpered, "Please don't leave me, Max," He begged, his body shaking. "Don't leave me." Lightly placing a kiss on his warm neck, Max nodded against his figure, "I'm not going anywhere."

-