*Set up*

Requests : rookywrighter asked for a fantasy romance princess/knight story revolving Max and Lucas in an alternate universe. Hope you enjoy!

-

In the kingdom of Eldoria, Princess Maxine, found herself facing an unexpected twist in her royal life. Known for her independent spirit and love for adventure, her parents, the king and queen, concerned about her safety and the future of the kingdom, decided to set her up with their most loyal knight, Sir Lucas Sinclair, renowned for his valor and loyalty. Max, initially resistant to the idea of an arranged match, scoffed at the notion. "I don't need a knight to protect me, and I certainly don't need a husband."

Her mother, very upset by her daughter's reaction pulled her toward the lush gardens of the castle. "Maxine, I understand your low spirit, but as your mother, I worry about your safety and the stability of the kingdom. Lucas is a noble and trustworthy man. He can offer you protection and-" Max crossed her arms, a defiant glint in her eyes. "I don't need protection, Mother. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. I don't want my life dictated by a man."

The queen sighed, her maternal concern evident. "It's not about restricting your freedom. It's about ensuring the prosperity and safety of our kingdom. Lucas is a good man, and I believe you'll find more than just protection in his company." Maxine, though skeptical, softened at her mother's earnest plea. "I just want to be in control of my own destiny, Mother. I don't want to marry someone I hardly know." The queen gently cupped Max's face.

"Give it a chance, my dear. Sometimes, the unexpected brings the greatest joys." Despite her reservations, Max reluctantly agreed to spend time with Sir Lucas. As time went on, the day of their official meeting arrived. In the grand hall of the castle, Max's parents arranged a formal setting for Princess Maxine and Sir Lucas Sinclair to get acquainted. Lucas, dressed in his knightly attire, awaited Max's arrival. Max entered the hall with an air of defiance, her eyes scanning the room as she fixed her dark green dress.

The queen greeted her daughter with a warm smile, "Maxine, this is Sir Lucas Sinclair. Sir Lucas, my daughter, Princess Maxine." Max glanced at Lucas, her expression guarded. "Sir Lucas," she acknowledged curtly. Lucas, unfazed by her distant demeanor, bowed respectfully. "Princess Maxine, it is an honor to meet you." Max crossed her arms, "Let's not pretend this is anything more than a formality, shall we?" Her parents exchanged uneasy glances as Lucas, though taken aback, remained composed.

Her mother tried to mediate, "My apologies, Lucas." She turned to her daughter, "Maxine, please give this a chance. Sir Lucas is a noble and honorable man." Max, stubbornly closed off, responded, "I'll reserve my judgment." Lucas, clearing his throat, extended his arm, ready for her to take. "Shall we?" Max, with an exasperated sigh, reluctantly placed her hand above his muscular arm. "Fine." They ventured into the stables, the scent of hay and the soft sounds of horses creating a more casual atmosphere.

Lucas attempted to break the ice. "So, princess, do you ride often?" Max, looking at the horses, nodded, "I come here quite often. It's one of the few places I feel truly myself in the castle." Lucas, intrigued, continued, "I've always believed a horse reveals a lot about a person." Max raised an eyebrow, a hint of curiosity in her eyes. "Do tell, what does my choice in horses reveal about me?" Lucas chuckled, "Well, a rider who chooses spirited horses appreciates a challenge." Max, surprisingly amused, teased, "Is that your knightly assessment?"

Lucas grinned, "Indeed, Princess." As they continued their stroll through the stables, Max found herself enjoying the banter with Lucas. The guarded walls around her heart began to crack, revealing a connection that went beyond the constraints of royal expectations. When it was time to part ways, Lucas bowed, "Thank you for the company today, Princess. I hope to spend more time together." Max, surprisingly softening, nodded, "Perhaps. Until then." As Lucas made his way to his duties, Max turned back toward the castle.

Her parents, observing from a distance, exchanged hopeful glances. Her father remarked, "Well, that looked like it went well." Max, with a nonchalant tone, replied, "I was just being polite, Father." But deep down, as she walked away, there was a flicker in her eyes, a spark of something she couldn't quite deny. The once reluctant princess found herself contemplating the unexpected joys that might come from a connection with the knight.

-