*Not worth it*

*Requests : Lumaxstranger asked for a one-shot based on the scene in volume two where Lucas tries to convince Max that she shouldn't risk her life in order to be the bait to defeat Vecna. However, this time Lucas is successful and finishes by convincing her that it is much too dangerous by pouring his heart out to her. Hope you like it!!

-

Max groaned at his antics walking out of the stolen trailer to get a deep breath of needed fresh air. Her lungs closing in on each other Max gulped and searched for any wind she could get. It wasn't an exaggerated reaction since the teen knew she was most likely going to die within the next twelve hours. "I don't wanna die." She repeated beginning to pace around the green grass.

Her hands wrapped firmly over her own chest Max tried to find five things she could see, four things she could touch, three things she could hear, two things she could smell, and one thing she could taste. Well, that had been the one good thing she had learned from her school guidance counsellor. 

While she reminisced over Mrs. Kelly's suggestion she felt several tears slide down her cheeks.  She aggressively wiped them off with both her shaking hands. "Jesus Christ Max, get it together," She told herself embarrassed by her own emotions and feelings. "Stop fucking crying." She persisted her breathing only becoming heavier and more labored.

"Max, stop-" She started her voice shaking along with her whole body. Meanwhile, Max's loud sobs had hidden the sound of the trailer door opening and closing behind her. Noticing how she'd been out for a while now, Lucas decided to go check on her outside Just in case. Being greeted by the girl anxiously pacing back and forth, his gut feeling had indeed been right.

Gripping at her hair while she cried Max mumbled things to herself that were barely even audible. Walking over, Max suddenly felt her body enveloped tightly by a pair of familiar arms. At first, it had startled her but with time she melted into the touch. Disappointed in herself for acting this way in front of him Max went on,  "Lucas,"  "It's okay," He promised.

"I've got you," He assured while lightly stroking strands of her hair. Letting her cry into his shoulder he held her tightly in his arms. Max cried everything out and for a moment being wrapped up safely in his arms was like an escape. She forgot about all the horrible things going on in her life and inhaled resting her head against his shoulder.

Max sniffed trying to lighten the dark energy, "It's always me, huh." But before Lucas even had a chance to speak she continued almost as if she didn't want to hear his answer. "I must just be so lucky then," She exaggerated while Lucas's face fell with confusion. "It doesn't always have to be you." He went along with her spiel.  "What do you mean?" Max asked intrigued by his response.

"You don't have to do this Max." He began making Max push him away from her. She took a few steps back groaning in annoyance. "Will you just stop with this?" She huffed running a hand through her red locks. "You don't understand. This is all on me. I have to do this Lucas." She went to walk away, sick and tired of having the same conversation over and over again. 

Lucas quickly grabbed her wrist and pulled her back towards him. "No-No, it doesn't have to be that way." Max ignored him yanking her wrist out of his tight but gentle hold. "I need to do this, Lucas. Whether you like it or not. " Max continued stubbornly, putting as much distance as she could between her body and the boys. 

"Don't walk away from me this time!" He yelled after her, sick of Max always having the right to do that in their relationship. With his words, Max crossed her arms and stayed in the same spot. "Go on," She instructed clearing her throat embarrassed. "Why are you even doing this?" He asked his voice stern with a mix of confusion. 

"I-I-" She hesitated but realized she had no answer herself. Pissed off over the situation Lucas suddenly yelled, "You don't owe this town shit, Max!" Spooked, birds flew out from trees around them. Surprised by his outburst Max flinched at the loud sound. He noticed shrinking a little bit, "Sorry, that came out louder than I planned," He apologized rubbing the back of his neck. 

She didn't answer, only nodded as she continued to listen to him. "Max, please don't tell me you want to die! You don't want to do this, do you?" He asked worriedly cupping her face with his big hands in worry. She hushed him pushing his hands away. "No, no, of course not. It's just-" She stopped, "What if it's the only way to get rid of this thing? What If I need to die Lucas?" 

Lucas shook his head gulping down the knot that had formed in his throat. "No, no, there are other ways. We'll find other ways." He ran a hand through his hair, "God, I'll find another way." "What if we can't-" She corrected herself a small blush appearing over her tear-stained cheeks, "What if you can't?" "I'll make sure of it." He promised as he reached for her again. 

Max thanked him with a hug starting to cry into his shoulder once more. "You won't die," He rested his head against hers. Taking in her sweet scent Lucas didn't think he'd ever be able to cope with the loss of living without a girl like her. "You don't deserve to die." He snuffled the two of them now crying together.

"I won't let you die." He swore not wanting her to ever endure the same pain she had in the last few days again. As long as he was around he wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. He wouldn't let anyone hurt her. "God, I wish I could protect you from everything." He declared with a tear dripping down his cheek. "Please protect me." Max whimpered.

-