*Daddy issues*

*Requests : liltex asked for a one-shot where Max goes to visit her dad in California but decides to return to Hawkins one week in advance to surprise the party because she misses them all dearly (mostly Lucas though). Also, her dad hadn't been how she remembered him to be (he sucks).

-

Max sighed, stepping off the city bus. She adjusted the straps of her backpack, dragging her suitcase lazily alongside the bumpy sidewalk. She smiled softly when she noticed her mother's familiar blue car parked not too far away from where she stood. The colour was the most comforting thing she could see right now. 

Max had called her all the way from California, asking if she would be willing to come pick her up. This came as a surprise for the older Mayfield women since it hadn't been planned in the slightest. You see, Max had gotten a letter from her father with a plane ticket for her birthday. He had decided to invite his only daughter to come stay with him in California for a few weeks.

If it was okay with Max's mom of course. Obviously, she ended up saying yes. Though she really didn't like the man on his own, he was still her father of her daughter at the end of the day. The invitation was out of the blue, to the point where Max could even consider it random. It made no sense why he would've sent it, since sure it was her birthday but Max hadn't seen him in years.

In years of not reaching out to her, he hadn't visited or even written Max a single letter. Max had been heartbroken over her father's clear incompetence and that was only one of the many reasons why her mother chose to leave the man and move to Hawkins instead. When Max left California, he promised her that he'd keep in touch. Clearly, the man had broken his promise.

Maybe he had simply fallen off the face of the earth or maybe he just stopped caring? Either way, when Max had gotten his invitation, she immediately responded yes. Though, she was confused and slightly angry with him she had simply missed her father. She packed her bags and prepared herself for what she thought would be exciting weeks ahead. 

Max had been wrong and she now wished she wouldn't have gone after all. The minute she stepped foot off that plane and made eye contact with him, she wanted to walk right back on. He was not the same man he had once been. He had changed, well, something in him had changed. Max couldn't even recognize her own father.

"Hi baby," Her mother cooed a sense of understanding in her voice. She stood in front of her car with both arms wide open. Max sighed softly, both happy and sad to be back home. She dropped her things running into her mother's warm arms like when she'd been a child. Mrs. Mayfield kissed her daughter's head softly as she stroked a few strands of her red hair. 

"I never should've let you go," She finally spoke disappointed in herself as she should've known better. "Don't feel bad Mom," Max sniffed letting go of the taller women."Yeah, well, I can't help myself." She chuckled, looking a little teary-eyed while she gave her daughter's shoulder a firm pat. Max faked a smile, "Don't beat yourself up about it, I'm home now aren't I?" "Thank god."

She let out a breathy laugh and pulled Max into the car. They both drove back towards the town, somewhere Max had missed during her weird trip back to her father's. "Well, I know someone who will be glad to see that you're back early." Mrs. Mayfield smirked while Max furrowed her eyebrows, leaning ageing her seat. "Who?" "Lucas." She smiled watching Max blush.

-

Max had called The Sinclair residence earlier only for Erica, Lucas's little sister to answer. She too was shocked that Max was home early as no one was expecting her for a few more days. Once she passed that shock, she informed Max that Lucas was over at Mike's slumming in the basement with the rest of the party. Max thanked her, hung up and ran out the door to find him.

Max wasn't in the slightest surprised that they were all hanging out at Mike's since his basement was practically their designated hang-out spot now. She hurried on her bike and made her way toward her friend's home, excited to see them all. Max threw her bike on the grass, running quickly to stand on The Wheeler's front porch. 

She hit the doorbell anxiously excited to see her friend's reactions to having her home. Mike's mother, Karen Wheeler opened the front door with a large smile on her face. She too had been glad to see the young girl back so early. "Maxine, you're back!" Max smiled at her reaction. "The kids are going to be so pleased to see you, I can tell they've been missing you,"  

"Well, so have I," Max admitted with a blush on her cheeks. "Well then, go on down honey, it's good to have you home sweetheart." Max waved making her way towards the basement door. "It's good to be back, thanks, Mrs Wheeler." Mrs. Wheeler shook her head laughing. "Oh please! How many times do I have to tell you, call me Karen!" 

Max nodded, brushing her hair away from her face. "Right. Sorry. Thanks, Karen." She corrected herself, though she preferred calling her Mrs. Wheeler in the end. And with that, Max made her way down the steps. Before she had the chance to say anything Mike turned to the door, his head in his hands. 

"Nancy, I already told you-" He groaned but quickly stopped when he noticed it wasn't his older sister. The rest of the party was unfazed, all of them were used to Nancy and Mike's bickering so they didn't expect anything less. "Max?" Mike's eyes widened. With the sound of her name, everyone turned around, having the same reactions as Mike.

"Surprise!" She smiled, waving her hands. They all jumped up, engulfing her in a tight hug. Sure, they were indeed surprised that she was back early but they were also just as glad. Lucas squeezed her smaller frame tightly as he didn't do so well with the distance between them. At least now they knew going too far colleges wouldn't work out. 

Max had made a note to herself to stay in close proximity to him from now on so they didn't have to do long distances like that one. "I missed you so much," He grinned, not being able to explain how happy he was feeling. "Don't worry, I won't be going back." She reassured him, melting into his comforting touch.

-