*Lies, lies, lies*

*Requests : ya_yEet771 asked for a one-shot where Max and Lucas are together and try to keep it a secret. This reader asked for one where the party finds out but i put my own twist on it, making Max's parents find out. (The Mayfields just happen to despise The Sinclair family in this) Also, Neil will still be living with Max and her mom in this. I hope you like this!!

-

On a mission, Max crept down the creaky stairs of her house. She planned to sneak over to Lucas's tonight but sadly nothing was ever that easy, especially with a step-father like Neil around. Instead of being a normal and open couple like everyone else, Max and Lucas had to hide their relationship from Max's parents.  Well, more or less Max's stepfather then her mom.

You see, Neil didn't necessarily like Max's friends, particularly Lucas because of his skin colour. The man simply didn't like or respect people of colour. Being raised in this mindset, he expected Max to think the same.  However, unlike him, Max loved Lucas and would do anything in her power to protect him from this horrible world they lived in. Neil included. 

Even if that meant keeping their relationship a secret. Creeping through the kitchen, Max was stunned when she was met at the front door with Neil. He was supposed to have a later shift tonight but apparently not. Before Max could even justify her actions Neil glared at her, a suspicious look on his face. "Where are you headed to, young lady?" 

Max crossed her arms backing away from the man and playing it off. "El's, she's having a few people over tonight." Neil nodded and made his way to the alcohol cabinet by the stove. "Is that boy going to be there?" Max furrowed her brows in confusion. "What do you mean, that boy?" Neil took a long swig from a bottle of vodka sending shivers down Max's spine. 

No matter the circumstances, Neil always knew how to get her scared. "You know, that boy. I saw you with him yesterday," Max's eyes widened shaking her head. "What are you talking about?" Max laughed and continued to lie. "I'm fed up with all your lies Maxine." He coughed looming over her. "I'm not lying," She shook avoiding his cold gaze.

Max's back pressed against the counter trying to put as much room as she possibly could between herself and the man. "Tell me the truth, now." "I-I'm not lying." She defended her voice cracking while she spoke. Suddenly snapping Max flinched at his loud voice. "You are full of shit!" Max sniffed holding in her tears, "Please stop, y-you'll wake up mom," "Excuses."

"I'm not I just-" "I saw you. I saw you two together!" He laughed loudly taking another sip from the bottle. His face inches away from Max's, she could practically get drunk from just the scent of reeking alcohol on his teeth. "Do you think I'm stupid?" He seethed watching Max hold her breath. "How long did you think you could hide this without me noticing it?"

"I-I'm sorry I just- I thought that-" The man punched a hole in a cabinet interrupting the stuttering mess of a girl in front of him. "You're dating him? Him?" He yelled again, "Are you in your right mind, Maxine!" He pinched his nose and groaned. "Tell me why you would go out with someone like that!" "H-He's sweet and-" "Spare me from depression!" Neil threw his head back.

"I thought you were better than this!" Max finally let go of the tears she'd been holding. All she was trying to do was see her boyfriend, what was so wrong about that? "You're a real mess, you know?" Neil laughed pacing while he eyed Max crying in the distance. "How long?" He asked taking in a breath. "How long have you two been together?" 

Max sunk to the floor, why was she feeling shame for being with Lucas? She shouldn't be ashamed of dating someone she loved. "T-Three months." Neil kicked another cabinet and watched the wood plank snap in half. "I'm telling your mother about this." Max whimpered from the floor, "No, please don't!" "How could you! Have you hit your fucking head!" Neil growled.

 "I would have never expected this from you." Then, unexpectedly, before Max could even start to form a response, the man sunk to the floor across from her. He broke out into hardcore sobs, his body shaking while he wept. "What have I done to deserve this?" Max wiped her tears shocked. "I raised you like my own child and this is how you repay me?"

He slammed his fist against his head, pounding over and over again against his flesh. Talk about an unhealthy coping mechanism."This fooling around, it stops now." Pointing at Max his lip quivered, "How could you betray us like this? Do you have no respect for us?" Max stood up slowly backing away from him. She felt like a little girl taking shelter to hide from a monster.

Only this time the monster was in the form of her step-father. "You've disgraced me, we're going to be the next talk of the town. Do you want that for us?" Max shook her head, "But I love him, Neil," The man cursed loudly crying like a little child in a store when their mother says no to the pack of double-stuffed Oreos. "You've made a complete fool out of us!" 

Max smiled at his state not believing that she'd caused it. "Good," Walking back towards her front door to leave, Neil crawled over and yanked on her ankle before she left. "No more Maxine! You will stop this madness now!" Max shook her foot and let his hand fall to the floor. She stomped on it hard hearing a few cracks from underneath her maroon high-top Vans. 

"I'm sorry, but no." Neil sobbed harder than he ever had before. Either because of the pain he was feeling in his hand or the pain he was feeling in his heart. "I love Lucas," She smiled proudly while she looked down at the crying man. Max hissed, "And there is nothing you can do to ever change that!" Giving him a look, Max slammed the door shut and left.

-