*Bodyguard*

*Requests : Losers1mp asked for a one-shot where Max is really famous (Max is more or less a royal in this one-shot) but she ends up falling in love with Lucas who is her bodyguard. So did just that. Let me know what you think of this au and if I should do it again.

-

Maxine Mayfield rushed out of the building with crowds of people running after her. She hurried to her driver's car sighing when she finally sat down inside. It seemed to her that thousands of her fans had been chasing her when in reality it'd only been a few dozen. Her father huffed the moment she entered the vehicle letting her know instantly how he felt about the situation.

"This is no longer safe my dear," "What do you mean father?" Catching her breath Maxine tried to play it off. He shook his head as the car pulled away from the large crowd of people. "It's settled," Maxine furrowed her eyebrows at him, "What on earth are you talking about?" "Me and your mother have been thinking, and we've finally reached an agreement."

"What exactly are you implying father?" With his head looking down to his feet the older man cleared his throat, "We are getting you a bodyguard." Maxine scoffed at her father's words. "You can't be serious?" "Oh, but we are darling," He argued the driver stepping on the gas to avoid a chase against the car. "This has never happened before why should it mean it would again?" 

"I am not willing to take any chances." Not satisfied Maxine crossed her arms, "But father-" "Maxine, we are getting you a bodyguard, end of story." Max groaned throwing her expensive sunglasses on. She looked away from her father and out her window. She watched herds of people wave begging for any piece of her.

"The world is a scary place, Maxine. You haven't even seen the half of it yet." Maxine rolled her eyes at her father's attempt to scare her. As if she didn't know this already? The redhead knew better than anyone what a scary place the world was, why should her father have to repeat it to her? He hadn't always been there to see what it was really like for her as the heir of her family.

-

Max crossed her arms as she trailed closely behind her father in the hall. Her heels clicking against the marble tiles in their home she pushed, "But I don't want a bodyguard Father!" "Sadly it's not up to you, Maxine!" She scoffed rolling her eyes at him, "It should be! This is my life we are talking about, not yours!" Defending her point, her father rolled his eyes at her exaggeration.

Still walking along, Max handed her coat to one of the many butlers in her parent's mansion. She could hear her mother sing to her from the dining room but Maxine simply ignored the women. She was not interested in what her mother had planned for the day, she only wanted to settle this ongoing debate with her father. "Oh, Maxine-" "Not now Mother!" 

"Just because I am a girl, it does not mean I am incapable of handling my own-" Cigar in hand, her father turned to look back at her. "We're still talking about this?" "Indeed we are, I told you I do not want nor need one so-" "So what?" He mocked taking in a drag of smoke and blowing it in her face. "Go see your mother. Now." Coughing at the smoke, Maxine glared at her father.

Walking away toward the dining room, Maxine's heels continued to click against the cold floor. "Do not think this is over just yet Father. I will talk to you later," Maxine walked on, the clicking of her heels quicker now that her mother called after her, "Maxine, darling, we've got company!" With an unusual tone in her mother's voice, Maxine hurried to join her. "Coming," 

In the dining room, beside the table stood her mother and a man who Maxine did not recognize. He was younger, dark, tall, and athletic while looking altogether intimidating in her eyes. Seeing her daughter finally enter, her mother smiled as she patted the gentleman on the shoulders. "Her she is, Maxine, my dear, this is Lucas." Max pursed her lips, waving awkwardly at him.

The stranger waved kindly back at her,  "Lucas, this is my daughter, Maxine," "Hello Maxine, it's nice to meet you." Max switched her attention from him to her mother, an unamused look on her face. "Alright Mother, what is this?" Her mother took a deep breath taking a step forward to her daughter. "Your father has surely spoken to you about this, no?"

Maxine furrowed her eyebrows, "About what?" "Lucas is the bodyguard me and your Father have hired to protect you." Maxine groaned at her words and instantly turned away. "I cannot believe you both don't think I can take care of myself." She squealed steering in the direction of her bedroom. Running up the stairs, Max slammed the door making it clear she was upset. 

Her mother clapped, turning to the uncomfortable man beside her. Apologizing for her daughter's behaviour, she guided Lucas to the sitting room. "My apologies, she must've had a bad day," Lucas nodded still trying to be polite, Maxine must've had a really bad day. Trying not to scare him away from this job for her daughter, she changed the subject. "Do you like tea?"

-

A few weeks in, Maxine started to accept the fact that she just couldn't win with her parents. She had to live with this guy following her every move. It was strange at first but after a while, she started to make do with the whole situation. He held her cups for her, her coats and her expensive bags, almost like a personal assistant should. 

"See, this isn't so bad," Lucas spoke, following closely beside Maxine while she shopped. "Easy for you to say, you aren't the one being followed." Lucas shrugged, "Fair enough," She picked up an article of clothing and looked it up and down. "I guess it's not as lonely as it was before," She clarified, "Well, It's nearly impossible to be alone when someone is continuously following me." 

"It must get quite lonely around here," "You can say that again." Maxine snorted. "Aren't you glad to have me now," Lucas laughed trying to make conversation but Maxine had other plans. Dropping the shirt she was looking at, she rolled her eyes at him. "Just to be clear, I don't need you. I am perfectly fine with taking care of myself."

Lucas pursed his lips still following. "You've made that pretty clear by now Maxine," "Perfect, so don't pretend to care more than you actually do." "Wasn't planning on it." Lucas itched his head, beginning to get annoyed by the girl. If he wasn't working for her, he sure as hell would not be following her right now. "Great." "Amazing."

-

Getting ready for her family's annual charity gala, it'd been almost a year now since Lucas started working for Maxine and her family. However, due to work circumstances, both her parents were unable to attend this year which forced her to go alone. Well, not completely alone. Max knocked on Lucas's bedroom door, standing nervously while she waited for him to answer.

"Maxine, is anything wrong?" He asked unsure why she was at his door. "Everything's fine Lucas, I just wanted to-" Maxine stopped herself shaking her head and reformulating her words. "I know you need to accompany me regardless but- would you consider being my date?" Lucas's face twisted and Maxine re-corrected herself. "But it's strictly for security purposes, obviously."

"I'd be delighted," Lucas smiled, a wave of relief washing over Maxine. As both of them got ready for the gala, Maxine had been shocked when she caught a glimpse of him ready. Little did she know, so had he. They both looked spectacular and even better together. Leading her out of the car and to the ballroom, Lucas furrowed his brows "What?" Maxine hummed zoned out, "Hm?"

"Why were you looking at me like that?" Clearing her throat she fixed her perfectly curled hair, "You look simply... different out of uniform." She remarked pulling him out to the dance floor. "You look pretty." He praised making her blush as they swayed. "What I'm about to say is very unprofessional but, I need you to kiss me." Following her orders, Lucas kissed her. 

-