*Childhood best friends*

*Requests : AshtonDooley0 asked for a request of Lucas and Max growing up together then splitting apart and meeting again when they are older in college. Hope you guys love this one!

-

In a quaint neighborhood nestled between the rolling hills and Indiana, two inseparable friends spent their early years together. Max and Lucas spent their carefree hours exploring their little town, navigating the park, and finding new adventures to take on while attending the same school. Where one went, you surely saw the other.

Well, that was until fate intervened and Max had to bid a tearful goodbye as she moved away with her family. The little girl clutched onto her favorite stuffed toy, tears streaming down her cheeks as she tried to smile through her sorrow. "Oh, I'll miss you, Lucas," Max hiccupped, her voice quivering. "Promise me you'll write?"

Lucas, trying to be brave but failing to hide the sadness in his eyes, nodded vigorously. "I promise, Max. I'll write to you every week! And I'll tell you all about our adventures here." With a trembling voice, Max managed a weak laugh. "I'll be waiting, Lucas. Don't forget me, okay?"

"Never," Lucas vowed, his voice filled with determination as he fought back his own tears. As the car pulled away, Max pressed her hand against the window, tears blurring her vision as she waved frantically.

Lucas stood at the end of her driveway, watching until the car disappeared from view, a lump in his throat and an ache in his fragile young heart. Their childhood promise echoed in the quiet neighborhood, carried away by the wind.

-

Years passed by and life went on. The memories of laughter and secret adventures slowly faded into the background as life took its course. Max settled into her new surroundings, making new friends and adapting to a different routine. While, Lucas remained in their hometown, growing up surrounded by familiar faces and places.

Eventually, time caught up and college beckoned for both Max and Lucas. Unbeknownst to them, their paths were destined to cross once again. Max strolled into her university classroom, the air filled with the buzz of anticipation as students found their seats and settled in.

Amidst the chatter and shuffling of papers, her eyes widened in surprise as they landed on a familiar face across the room. "Lucas?" Max murmured softly, a mixture of disbelief and excitement coloring her voice. Lucas turned, his gaze meeting hers, and for a moment, his expression was one of puzzled recognition, as if trying to place where he knew her from.

"Yeah?" he responded cautiously. Max's heart sank a little, a flicker of disappointment crossing her face. "It's me... Max," she said, her tone hopeful yet tinged with a hint of uncertainty. "Do you... remember me?" Suddenly, recognition dawned on Lucas's face, his eyes widening in surprise. "Max! Oh my god, it's you!" He seemed genuinely taken aback by the sudden rush of memories flooding back.

A smile broke across Max's face, relief washing over her. "I thought you might have forgotten," she admitted, feeling a weight lift off her shoulders. "Never," Lucas replied, a grin spreading from ear to ear. "How could I forget, you were my... My best friend,"

Laughter bubbled between them, the years apart fading away as they reminisced about their childhood escapades, sharing snippets of their lives during the time they were apart. They spent the day catching up, sharing stories of the years they spent apart, and discovering how much they had changed yet remained the same in many ways.

As days turned into weeks and weeks into months, their friendship rekindled effortlessly. They studied together, laughed together, and explored the city's hidden gems, their bond growing stronger with each passing moment.

Amid late-night study sessions and casual hangouts, something began to shift between them. Max noticed the way Lucas would look at her, his gaze lingering a little longer than usual, and Lucas found himself admiring Max's laughter a little too much.

-

The night hung heavy with the promise of impending exams, but within the walls of Lucas's dorm room, the air was filled with a different kind of tension. Max and Lucas sat amidst piles of textbooks and notes, the dim light casting shadows across the room, their focus drifting away from the pages in front of them.

"I can't believe we used to spend all night just talking and now we're studying like this," Max remarked, a hint of nostalgia in her voice. Lucas chuckled softly. "Back then, we didn't have these crazy college exams looming over us though." As the hours slipped by, the conversation drifted from academics to reminiscing about their childhood.

Memories resurfaced, bittersweet and vivid, as they delved deeper into the past. "I remember the day you left," Lucas began, his voice tinged with a touch of solemnity. Max's gaze softened, memories flooding back. "Me too." Max snorted to herself, "I was so scared and sad to leave. I cried the whole way." Lucas observed Max, a soft smile playing on his lips.

"You always were the sentimental one." Max chuckled, wiping away a tear that had escaped. "Yeah, and you were the one trying to be all strong, but I saw that tear in your eye, Lucas." He feigned offense. "Hey, I never said I wasn't sad! I just didn't want to make it harder for you." Silence settled between them. "Max," Lucas spoke softly, breaking the quietude.

"I think... I think I might've missed you more than I realized," Lucas confessed, his voice wavering slightly. "And being here with you now, it feels normal again." She nodded, her eyes meeting his. "Lucas, I..." She paused, the words caught in her throat as Lucas sat up. "I know. I know things are crazy right now but... Maybe it took all these years apart for me to realize it,"

His voice trembled with emotion. "But I think... I think I might be falling for you, Max." Max's eyes widened in sheer astonishment at Lucas's confession. Her breath hitched, caught in surprise and a surge of joy fluttered in her chest. "Lucas..." She struggled for words, her voice trembling with shock. "I... I didn't expect... that you'd feel the same way."

A radiant smile slowly spread across her face, a brilliant reflection of the happiness that was bubbling within her. The realization that their feelings were mutual was a revelation that lifted her spirits, sparking a lightness in her heart she hadn't felt in a long time. "I... I think I might be... or I am, actually, falling for you too," she finally admitted, her voice a mix of wonder and excitement.

"I've wanted you since the fourth grade," Lucas's eyes widened in surprise at Max's admission, her words carrying a weight that echoed through the years they had spent apart. "Since the fourth grade?" His voice held a mix of astonishment and a hint of realization. Max nodded, her gaze unwavering. "Yeah, I guess I've always felt... something for you, even back then."

A rush of emotions surged through Lucas. His heart fluttered at the thought that their connection might have been stronger and more profound than he had ever imagined. "I... I had no idea," He stammered, his voice filled with a mix of surprise and warmth. Throwing his textbooks aside, Lucas tugged Max towards him, unafraid to ruin their friendship now that he was sure she felt the same way.

"I won't let you leave me this time," Max's eyes widened in surprise as Lucas's sudden action caught her off guard. Yet, the warmth of his touch and the sincerity in his words melted away any doubts or reservations she might have had.

As Lucas held her close, Max's surprise melted into a sense of comfort, a feeling of belonging that she had missed for years without him by her side. "I won't leave you," she whispered, "Not this time."

-