Chapter 131: Jingling (Part 2)

Perhaps his heart pounded with his disciple's company because he had been lonely for too long. It wasn't right.

Ling Er was only sixteen or seventeen; he really shouldn't have such thoughts about him.

Thus, he consciously estranged their relationship.

Ling Er seemed aware of it but did not ask.

He only saw Ling Er standing by the door when he occasionally sat in his study, staring at him with those indistinctly deep and dark eyes.

The fire hurt Ling Er's throat.

It was from that exact fire in the secret realm a year ago.

Over the years, he had uncovered many ways to medicate the other party with little success.

He knew that divine fire injuries were incurable.

Just like the scar on his face. He could still sense the searing pain.

He once thought that if he could return to the fire, he would not help Rong Ran find the God-Returning Pill but try his best to rescue Ling Er at that time so Ling Er would not suffer and his injuries would be mended.

Therefore, he did not foresee that Ling Er could speak one day.

His voice was raspy.

It was like the dead branches in winter being crushed. He spoke every word slowly.

The first thing the other party said to him was:

"Master."

He looked up in astonishment from his scroll and saw a young man standing before him, leaning down. His palm blanketed the back of his hand that was on the page.

The young man called again:

"... Master."

Delight followed his surprise.

"Ling Er, you can speak?"

The young man let out a soft "en" and intertwined their hands.

But he didn't notice it. He continued to question: "How does your throat feel now? Don't force your voice. We still have plenty of time to recuperate your voice gradually."

The young man looked at him with lowered eyes and said softly: "I really like Master."

His voice stopped abruptly.

He even suspected he was having auditory hallucinations.

If not, how could he hear his disciple confessing to him?

The young man leaned close, staring at him with dark eyes, and asked softly: "I like Master, but why has Master...been avoiding me recently?"

The other party's breath sprayed on his cheeks. They were extraordinarily close.

He could not answer.

But blush had stained his cheeks and ear tips.

The young man said: "Master clearly likes me too."

His eyelashes fluttered, "You... What nonsense?"

"Is it not the case?" The young man held his hand and rubbed his palm.

He discovered he could not articulate his words when he faced those dark eyes that could seemingly see through everything.

He turned his face away and no longer looked at the other party. He said: "Between a master and disciple, no, you can't say love. It's daoist ethics. Ling Er, I only see you as a disciple..."