Chapter 59 - Awkwardness, Lies, and Confessions?

"Sweet, it has some charge to it!" I picked up my phone and turned it on. The first thing to appear on my lock screen was several miss calls and unread messages from Sumiko. "Um, can you guys leave so I can make a phone call?"

"Sure" Kakucho said as him, Koko, and Mochi left the room.

"I didn't think they would actually leave" I thought as I called Sumiko.

"For a second I thought I was going to have a search party look for you" was the first thing that came out of Sumiko's mouth when she answered the phone.

"They probably wouldn't be able to find me" I thought and let out a laugh. "I'm away from my phone for a whole day and that's the first thing that comes to mind for you?"

"Hell yeah it is! I need to know my bestie is okay at all times" she paused. "So are you okay?"

"I am" I lied.

"You sure?"

"I'm sure, Sumi" I lied again.

"Why do I feel like you're capping, (Y/n)?" Sumiko looked at her girlfriend's phone. "Because I recently heard that Satori passed away."

"You did?" I did not expect her to find out about that. "How did you find this out?"

"Well since I'm not in Japan right now, I like to still keep up with what's going on over there and I read a news report about a missing person" she started. "Of course that missing person was Satori, who by the way, went missing twice."

"That's right, they did report he was missing that one time" I thought.

"And I heard after he went missing for a second time, reports say that there was a high chance that he might have been killed."

"Really? I did hear about his passing but I didn't know he was killed" I lied. Of course I knew he was killed, I'm the reason he was killed in the first place. Hell I'm the reason he went missing the first time around too. "Did they say who killed him?"

"No, but people online say he could have ran into some trouble from that Bonten group."

"That's crazy."

"I know right." Sumiko thought about what she was going to say next. "So if you knew he passed away, why didn't you tell me about this?"

"I didn't want you to worry about me."

"Of course I'm going to worry about you! Someone who was close to you died!"

"He didn't seem that close to me when he found out about what's really going on" I thought. "Yeah, but I'm okay now."

"If you say so." Sumiko still had her doubts but she wasn't going to further question me about them. If anything, she would prefer if she was here in Japan with me in person. "Oh by the way, there was another reason I called you yesterday."

"What was it?"

"I'm coming back to Japan."

I didn't say anything right away as my brain processed what she just said. "You are?"

"Yeah, the vacation was awesome and everything but I'm missing my best friend."

"I miss you too Sumi, but you don't need to rush back."

"I'm not. Actually I don't know when we're coming back."

"Shit, I was hoping she could give me a time frame" I thought. "I see. Like I said there's no need to rush back, I want you to enjoy your vacation to the fullest."

"It almost sounds like you don't want me to come back."

"I didn't say that. If I were you and I was on the vacation of the lifetime, I wouldn't come back until months later." I let out a small laugh. "Hell, I might not even come back at all."