86

Colby's POV

I felt my heart ache at the handwritten words that Julia had written. My mind couldn't grasp the fact that she would do this.

We were fine this morning.

I guess that's exactly how she felt when she did the same thing to me, but I remember distancing myself a little bit before I did it.

"Where did you find this?" I asked, trying to keep my voice level. I couldn't be having anyone thinking I was overly upset right now.

"On the front desk." Will said as I nodded. "Alright. Get back to work." I said then turned to go into my office.

"Is there anything you're going to do about this?" Will asked as I clenched my jaw.

"No. Now get back to fucking work." I snapped then slammed my door. I needed to be alone to process the thoughts I was having.

Julia really just used me.

She opened her heart to me and fell in love only to run away the second I gave her an opportunity to.

I knew she was smart and driven, but I didn't think she would hurt me this much.

I would have liked to think that she would have at least waited until all of this was taken care of.

I couldn't blame her for wanting to get out of the crime world and I couldn't blame her for not wanting to be with me, but after the past couple months we have had, I thought things were different.

There was a small glimmer of hope that one day we would be able to run away from the crime world together, but that was gone.

I couldn't trust her after this.

When I got to my desk, anger flooded through me. I didn't want to stay here because it reminded me so much of Julia.

Her art supplies were still scattered on the desk in front of me, the sketch she was doing this morning sitting there.

I clenched my jaw and took the paper, ripping it in half and throwing it to the side.

I went to throw the art stuff off of my desk as well, but was interrupted by my phone ringing.

"What?!" I answered, not even seeing who it was. "Woah. What's going on, man?" Sam asked with concern as I stood up, pacing the room.

"She played me, Sam." I said, my voice cracking. "What are you talking about?" He asked as I closed my eyes.

"Julia. She left me a note saying she was leaving me." I said, feeling the bile rise in my stomach.

"She wouldn't do that, Colby." He said as the anger rose up once again. "But she fucking did, Sam! I'm looking at the note right fucking now." I said as he sighed.

"Okay, I'm just gonna go up there and we can figure this out together." He said as I shook my head. "There's nothing to figure out, Sam." I said and closed my eyes.

"I just don't want you to be alone up there, alright? I know this is hard even if you want to pretend its not." Sam said with a sigh.

"Fine." I said, knowing he wasn't going to take no for an answer.

"Great. I'm leaving now and will be there tomorrow. Don't do anything crazy before I get there." Sam said as I sat down at my desk again.

"Okay." I mumbled. "Good." Sam said then hung up the phone. As soon as he did, I felt the tears stinging my eyes.

I hated that I was feeling weak but I really truly loved Julia.

I thought that we were finally going to stop pushing each other away but I guess that wasn't the case.