38. Lab results

"Where is he?" Kao asked as he entered the house.

"Upstairs. Haven't woken up yet." Earth said as he led the group of people inside.

A week had passed since the incident. The debris left behind by the storm was almost cleared. 

Everything was finally getting back to normal except for Fluke.

Both Earth and Prem stayed by his side monitoring his actions day and night.

"It is already afternoon and he is still sleeping?" Boun asked as he sat down on the leather couch.

"He had been pulling all-nighters arranging everything. The police, the hospital, and the fans. He just went to bed a few hours ago." Prem said bringing out snacks and drinks for the visitors.

"How is he?" Ohm asked biting his lips.

"Not good. He was a complete mess a few days ago when he heard about Amy's death. Mom banned him from entering the hospital premises for the time being so that he can calm down." Earth sighed.

"Did he say anything about Ohm? Did he ask about him?" Kao asked.

Earth shook his head.

"He hadn't even mentioned P' Ohm ever since that day. He had promised me that he will not find trouble with P' Ohm. Also, about the series, he will do it. Please don't worry about it."

"Earth. I want to talk to him. I don't want any misunderstandings between us. Also, I have to thank him." Ohm said earnestly.

"P' Ohm. I understand what you are trying to say. But I think it is not a good idea. Fluke...Give him some more time." Earth said with a small smile.

"What do I need time for?" a voice came from the stairs.

Everyone turned to see Fluke walking over in white mouse overalls.

He looked so small, innocent, and adorable that no one could relate him to the person who wreaked havoc a few days ago.

Yawning lightly, Fluke rubbed his sleepy eyes. His brown just-out-of-bed hair looked extra fluffy.

He walked over and waied the elders.

"Fluke, go freshen up and change. We have guests." Earth said.

"Can't I just have some food and go back to sleep?" Fluke whined.

"No, we are expecting people over in a while. Go get dressed. You can have food after changing." 

Earth pushed Fluke back to the stairs.

A reluctant Fluke went upstairs to change.

"Wow. That was close." Prem patted his chest.

"Why? What happened? Fluke looked pretty normal to me." Boun was confused.

"Hia, the Fluke now is like a timebomb that can blast at any second. We need to diffuse him before he actually does to ensure our safety."

"I think you guys are exaggerating." Boun was not ready to believe that Fluke was dangerous.

"Poor boy. He is yet to know the real Fluke." Prem patted Boun.

Boun shot him an unbothered glance.

Ohm was staring at the staircase as if he was waiting for Fluke to come down.

"Ohm," Kao called for his attention. "I think you should stay here tonight. We will stay too. You guys can talk tonight. Pushing it too long may cause more damage than good."
Ohm nodded in understanding.

The printer in the corner of the living room suddenly started printing. The noise attracted the attention of the people talking in the living area.

"What is that? A ghost?" Boun asked.

"A fax maybe," Earth replied as he picked up the printout.

"What does it say?" Kao walked over to take a look.

"I don't know. It looks like lab results from P' Ja's [1] lab." Earth said as he read through the document.

Everyone was crowding around Earth to take a look at the papers when Fluke walked over with a plate of food.

"If everyone is done taking a look, then can I have those papers?" Fluke sat comfortably on the couch.

"Fluke, how many times do I have to tell you to eat at the dining table? And put your legs down. You are making the couch dirty." Earth commanded.

"Everyone is having a chat here and you want me to sit at the dining table and eat alone?" Fluke pouted and put his legs off the couch.

Just as the two were about to start an argument, Kao spoke.

"What are these papers, Fluke? These look like lab results."

"They look like lab results because they are," Fluke answered nonchalantly.

"Fluke..." Earth called out gritting his teeth.

"It's nothing. Just the test results of the drug they were going to try on P' Ohm." Fluke said swallowing a mouthful of food.

"Eat slowly Fluke. Chew your food." Earth rolled his eyes.

"I want to but I am just too hungry." Fluke gobbled down the food without slowing down.

"Drug they wanted to try on Ohm?" Kao was puzzled.

Chewing the last mouthful of food, Fluke looked at them.

"Don't tell me that you guys actually thought that the daughter of Khuruwityophats would actually use a sleeping portion, that couldn't even make him completely unconscious in such an important plan?" Fluke scoffed as he walked to the kitchen sink with the empty plate.

Others were dumbstruck by the question. They hadn't thought of that possibility.

"I told you there was something wrong. If Peach had actually used a knock-out portion, then she would have used one that would last for at least eight hours. We wouldn't have been able to save P' Ohm within a short time." Earth said in realization.

"At least someone is logical among you," Fluke smirked as he walked back to the living area, taking the papers from Kao.

"Then what happened? How did it end up with you?" Boun asked feeling a little overwhelmed.

"I switched them with mine." Fluke shrugged.

"You switched them? FLUKE, DON'T TELL ME THAT YOU BROKE INTO PEACH'S HOUSE THAT DAY!" Kao exclaimed.

Fluke gave him a fake smile and continued reading the test results.

"Fluke, do you have any idea how heavily guarded that place is? There are people patrolling twenty-four-seven. They have CCTV cameras installed." Kao was shocked.

"Really P' Kao? CCTV and patrol? Do you really think they can stop me? You know me better than that." Fluke shook his head.

"I know you can do it. But that was really dangerous, Fluke."

"If he can go then why can't I?" Fluke asked pointing at Ohm.

"He went because..."

"P' Kao, stop treating me as a kid," Fluke said cutting off Kao mid-sentence.

"So, what did you do with the drug?" Earth asked staring straight at Fluke.

"I sent them to the lab, of course." Fluke smiled.

"Then?"

"I handed them to the police. It is critical evidence." Fluke continued to smile.

"As far as I can see this formula is the same one police caught in the Khuruwityophats' warehouse. The drug that has no antidote." Earth continued staring at Fluke's face expressionlessly.

Fluke tried to avoid eye contact.

[1] P' Ja- Fluke's cousin