73. First love

Fluke was standing in the room looking out through the glass window, lost in thoughts.

“Noo” he heard Ohm’s voice and turned around.

“P’ Ohm, why are you here?” Fluke asked.

Fame’s surgery had ended by midnight. It was successful and Fame was out of danger for the time being. She was still being kept under observation in the intensive care unit.

“I just wanted to check on you.” Ohm reached out to move a few strands of hair from Fluke’s forehead.

“What could possibly be wrong with me?” Fluke said taking a step back instinctively creating a space between him and Ohm. He hurriedly rearranged his hair himself.

Ohm’s hand froze midair.

“Noo, are you mad at me?” Ohm asked seeing Fluke’s action.

“Why would I be mad at you?”

“Because I didn’t stay by your side today. Noo, I really wanted to take your side today, but the situation was-” Ohm was stopped halfway by Fluke.

“I know. You don’t have to explain. What you did was right from your point of view. I understand, Phi.” Fluke said turning away from Ohm.

“I don’t think you do, Fluke.”

“I do, phi. As an outsider who knows nothing about the incident, it is only natural that you act like that. And I know I was being pretty rude then. But I had no other option left in front of me.”

“Outsider? Yeah, of course, I am an outsider. How would I know what happened between you guys?” Ohm scoffed.

“P’ Ohm I am not in the mood to start an argument with you.” Fluke made his way to the coffee maker and switched it on to make a cup of coffee for himself and Ohm.

“Neither am I Fluke. I am just trying to have a conversation with you here, not start some argument.”

“Then, what do you want to start a conversation about?” Fluke placed his cup under the coffee maker letting it get filled.

“I just want to know what happened there. Or as an ‘outsider’ I should keep myself from asking anything?” Ohm emphasized the word ‘outsider’ again.

“Now, will you stop hanging on to that word? You know I actually didn’t mean it that way.” Fluke sighed.

Ohm sneered hearing Fluke.

Fluke picked up the coffee mugs and walked to the couch where Ohm was sitting and handed a cup to Ohm.

Ohm took the cup still sulking.

“You want to know what is going on, right?” Fluke looked at Ohm.
Ohm nodded.

“P’ JJ was our senior back in high school. We were pretty close to him. In fact, I and Fame met each other because of him.” Fluke paused, taking a sip of his coffee.

“Later, he and his friends ganged up on Earth and bullied him, causing a huge fight to break out between us. Earth was in a very bad condition due to his panic attack. Then, if not for P’ Kao reaching the scene on time we might have lost Earth forever.” Fluke skipped the details of the incident because he didn’t want many people to know about what happened that night.

“I was mad when I found out what P’ JJ and his friends had done to Earth and I beat him up. I ended up breaking his leg in the process. Have you noticed that he has a little limp when he walks? That was caused by me. I had a pretty bad temper then. Everything became chaotic after that and my family had to solve it for me.”

“What about the agreement his Phor was talking about?” Ohm asked.

“The incident had been a bit traumatizing for Earth. So I didn’t want him to ever see P’ JJ or his friends ever again in his life. So I discussed it with my parents and they made an agreement with his family that he would leave Thailand and stay abroad. Any more questions?” Fluke observed Ohm’s expression.

“JJ… he…” Ohm hesitated. He was afraid that his guess would be true.

“What is it P’ Ohm? Ask away. I will tell you as long as the question doesn’t cross the line.” Fluke said.

“He is your first love, right?” Ohm asked carefully.

Fluke paused for a moment before nodding in agreement.

Ohm clenched his fist.

“How did you know, phi?” Fluke asked.
“I could tell from the way you were looking at him. That look of betrayal and sadness that passed through your eyes when you saw him.” Ohm said.

Fluke smiled hearing Ohm. “It’s nothing like that. I was just a little taken aback.” Fluke sipped his coffee.

“You don’t have to lie to me. If that incident hadn’t happened, the two of you might have ended up together.” Ohm said holding back the bitter feeling in his heart.

“I don’t think so. It was just a one-sided crush. He was not interested in me.” Fluke got up with his empty cup.

“He is the only person who you were in love with.” Ohm got up as well. “He managed to make you fall in love with him. There must be something special about him that made you feel that way.”

“I was just young and naïve back then.” Fluke walked to the wash basin to wash the cup.

“I am a little jealous. You won’t even take a second look at me when I try to hit on you and you still have some lingering feelings for him.” Fluke’s hands that were washing the cup froze and he turned around and saw Ohm standing just behind him.

The two of them made eye contact with each other for a few minutes. Fluke blinked and looked away.

“What are you saying Phi? This is not funny.” Fluke pushed Ohm away.

“Do I look like I am joking?” Ohm held Fluke back by his wrist.

Before Fluke could say anything, they heard a knock on the door.

Fluke wiggled out of Ohm’s grip and answered the door.

It was a nurse telling Fluke that his mother was looking for him.

Fluke glanced at Ohm, who nodded excusing the younger one.

Ohm was a little disappointed that they were interrupted.

He had finally gotten the chance and courage to tell Fluke about his feelings. He sighed in resignation, making his way to the room where his parents and Nalatworasakuls were waiting.

“We are not cancelling the engagement because of Fame’s condition. We are cancelling it because she herself is not willing to get engaged to Ohm. Khun Leonard [1], I understand you are trying to keep the best interest of both families in mind. But we don’t want you to force her into this marriage.” Ohm heard his father say.

Ohm knew that his family was discussing the cancellation of the engagement with Fame’s family. The latter was unwilling to let go of the relationship as it was like a duck that lays golden eggs for them.
Ohm stood in the doorway listening to his father negotiating with the other party.

[1] Leonard- Mr Nalatworasakul, Fame’s father.