88. Sign language

“P’ Ohm did we make a mistake by telling her about us?” a teary-eyed Fluke asked Ohm as they sat outside the private room waiting for doctors to come out.

Mist was standing in front of the door, pacing back and forth every now and then.

“No, Noo. We did the right thing. She had the right to know more than anyone else in this world.” Ohm side hugged Fluke.

Fluke nervously peeked at the door praying wholeheartedly that Fame will be alright.

After almost an hour the door flew open and revealed the team of doctors coming out of the room.

“Khun Mo, how is she?” Mist asked worriedly. She had already informed Fame’s family about the situation and they were on the way.

“She is stable now. You don’t have to worry.” The doctor said adjusting his stethoscope around his neck.

“Thank God.” Mist cried joining her hands.

The team of doctors left leaving a nurse who was still monitoring the machines attached to Fame.

“This incident can be considered a good sign Khun Mist. This just shows that the patient is responding to her surroundings. For patients like this, it is a big deal.” The nurse said reassuring Mist.

The trio thanked the nurse for her service as she left the room.

“P’ Ohm, actually I was a little mad at you for everything that happened. Especially today after Fame’s condition got critical. I am really sorry that I behaved rudely to you.” Mist said bowing to Ohm.

Earlier Mist had lashed out at Ohm calling him a murderer who is after her best friend’s life. If it was not for the fact that the staff said that she will be thrown out of the hospital for creating a scene, she would have ripped off Ohm at that moment.

“It is okay, Mist. I understand you. If I had been in the situation, I would have done the same.” Ohm’s words were dripping with sincerity.

Mist smiled back in gratitude.

Fluke held Ohm’s hand feeling thankful to have an understanding boyfriend.

If Fame could stand up, she would have handed the Oscar award for best actor to Ohm. He had successfully fooled everyone around him that he was innocent and was a well-wisher who hoped that Fame would be out of danger.

“Fluke, I think you two should get going. Fame’s family will be here any second now, and if they see you guys here, there will be a war here.” Mist said looking at the couple.

Fluke nodded. Saying goodbye to both women, the couple walked out of the room successfully avoiding Fame’s family by a hair.

“P’ Ohm, can you wait for me for a while? I have to hand over Fame’s file to the department.” Fluke asked when they got out of the private ward area.

“Hand over Fame’s file? Why? Aren’t you going to continue treating her?” Ohm asked with a frown.

“I do want to. But her Mae doesn’t want me to. She is afraid that if her husband gets to know about it, he might create chaos here.” Fluke sighed.

“You go. I will wait here.” Ohm said nodding.

Fluke smiled and headed to the physiotherapy department which was not far from there.

Ohm wandered around the hospital while waiting for Fluke.

He ended up walking into the pediatric ward region.

A bunch of kids surrounded him asking him to join them to play. Ohm had never been much fond of kids. But he couldn’t shoo him away. He might end up upsetting his love.

Ohm decided to test his patience with the kids as Fluke seemed to love them a lot. He joined the kids to play leaving the nurses in charge of the pediatric ward scream covering their mouths.

Each second felt like an hour to him as he was surrounded by noisy children who were pulling him from all sides, trying to gain his attention. He tried his best to keep up the smiling face. He just hoped that Fluke would return before he ran out of patience.

Just as Ohm was about to snap, his phone rang. Using the call as an excuse, the actor ran away from the ward.

Ohm was done with the call when he felt a tug on his shirt. He turned on his heels and saw a short skinny kid behind him. Looking at the pale face of the kid Ohm could only think of one word- Cancer.

The kid smiled and waved his hands asking Ohm to bend down. Ohm squatted to the kid’s eye level and stood on his knees.

The kid used sign language and asked him if he was Fluke’s boyfriend.
The question brightened up Ohm’s mood.
Ohm nodded and used sign language to chat with the kid who was a huge fan of Fluke even though he was mute.

Fluke hurried to find his way back to his boyfriend after briefing the new doctor about Fame’s condition and the development and responses she had shown to his treatment. He was greeted by the scene of Ohm smiling and chatting with one of the cancer patients who had been staying in the hospital using sign language.

Fluke couldn’t help but pull out his phone to take a snap of the lovely scene in front of him. Putting his phone back into his pocket he stood there admiring his boyfriend, a little hesitant to disturb the two people.

The kid noticed Fluke standing there with a smile watching them. He enthusiastically waved his hands at Fluke asking the latter to join them.
Fluke walked over with a huge smile.
The kid took Fluke’s hand and placed it on Ohm’s hand and did a gesture indicating that those hands were locked together before running away giggling.

Ohm pulled Fluke into a bear hug as they watched the kid run back to his ward.
“Kids these days are really cute,” Ohm commented.

“I thought you didn’t like them.” Fluke was a little surprised at Ohm’s change in attitude.

“I like everything you like,” Ohm said stealing a sniff kiss on Fluke’s puffy cheeks.

“P’ Ohm, we are in public.” Fluke elbow-punched Ohm playfully.
“Ouch. That hurt.” Ohm held his stomach, his face cringed in pain.

“Now you are overacting,” Fluke commented crossing his hands over his chest.

Ohm chuckled and straightened his back.
“So, Khun Fluke are you ready for our date?”

Fluke smiled and nodded.

“This way please?” Ohm acted like a butler showing Fluke the way out as he held the door to the pediatrics ward open for his boyfriend to walk out.

Fluke eyed Ohm and followed his instructions.

Ohm’s role alternated from being a butler to a bodyguard to a driver by the time they reached the parking lot.

After entering the passenger seat, Fluke lowered the window glass and spoke.
“Khun Khab Roth [1], please send my boyfriend over.”

“Khrab Khun Noo.” Ohm bowed respectfully like a driver and walked over to the driver’s seat dropping his roleplay.

“Are we ready to go?” He asked igniting the engine. He stepped on the accelerator after getting affirmation from his boyfriend.

[1] Khab Roth - driver