63. Heartbreak

Fluke used the last ounce of his energy to lock the door behind him.

Fluke slumped to the floor letting the tears he was holding back all this while flow like a river.

Clenching on his aching chest, Fluke curled up into a ball on the cold floor.

This was not the first time something like this was happening to him.

When he was in his junior year of High school, he had fallen in love for the first time. It was so when he found out that he was into men.

The other party’s name was JJ. JJ was his senior in high school, the captain of the school basketball team.

JJ was the only person to whom Fluke had shown his true self, something that he regretted doing later.

Just like this time, Fluke had made preparations to confess his love until he realised that JJ was just using him and his feelings. Fluke was heartbroken at the discovery. But what hurt him more was the fact that he let JJ use him to hurt his best friend.

If not for Kao’s presence, they might have lost Earth forever. This incident led Kao to find out about Fluke’s feelings for JJ, which Fluke had kept a secret from everyone.

Fluke was filled with shame and rage back then. He personally made sure that JJ paid for what he did to Earth. He also promised himself that he would never fall in love with anyone in this life.

As years passed by this oath had a major impact on Fluke’s life, his personal relationships and his interactions with people. He always drew lines and built an invisible barrier around him preventing others from reaching out to him completely.

Ohm was the only person who had managed to break this defensive barrier. And he did it so naturally that even Fluke didn’t realise it until Ohm had completely taken over his heart and brain.

After crying for several hours Fluke was lying on the floor exhausted. His tears had dried up. He felt numb not only from the outside but inside as well.

He felt that he should have developed feelings for anyone. He was not strong enough to take the backlash of deeply loving someone who would never reciprocate it. He had forgotten his previous experience and fell for a person that he wouldn’t be able to avoid even if he wanted to.

Fluke stared at the white ceiling, not knowing what to do next.

He had spent his whole life trying to impress people around him, to get them to like him, to pay attention to him. He was now feeling as if all his efforts were in vain as that one person whom he wanted to impress was unwilling to take a second look at him.

Fluke knew that he was overthinking the whole situation as he had already considered the possibility of something like this happening. Yet, when it actually happened, he couldn’t take it.

He couldn’t bring himself to believe that Ohm had no romantic feelings for him. He couldn’t believe that those hugs, kisses, cuddles and stares that they shared meant nothing to Ohm.

A part of him wanted to rush to Ohm and let him how much he loved him but the other part knew that would be a foolish move to make.

It was better for Ohm to be with a woman than a guy like him. He could marry her legally without being judged by society. He could have kids with her and have a happy family.

He envied Fame for being so lucky to be chosen by Ohm. He envied her more for being a woman. He envied her that no one would look at her strangely if she held Ohm’s hand or hugged him in public. He envied her that she would be able to carry Ohm’s child and carry on his bloodline. He envied her. He envied her so much.

Fluke picked up his phone to check the time. Almost six hours had passed since he entered the apartment. It was almost midnight.

He could see several missed calls and messages from Earth, Prem and Sammy.

Fluke could guess that his three best friends must have heard the news of Ohm’s engagement and must be worried about him.

After giving it a thought, he finally decided to call Earth first as Earth had called him the greatest number of times.
The call got through on the first ring itself.

Even before Fluke could open his mouth to say hello, he heard Earth’s yell from the other side.

“FLUKE, WHERE ON EARTH ARE YOU? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG ALL THREE OF US HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT YOU?”

A small smile formed on Fluke’s face.
At the end of the day, he still had his friends guarding his back.

Standing on the balcony of the apartment, Fluke looked up at the full moon in the starry sky.

Huge drops of tears ran down his cheeks as he heard the continuous questions being thrown at him by the three people at the other end of the phone.

“I was in the studio guys. My phone was on silent mode, that’s why I didn’t answer your calls.” Fluke chose to lie.

“Fluke, are you alright?” Sammy asked in concern.

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I be?” Fluke let out an airy chuckle.

“You heard about P’ Ohm’s engagement right?” Prem asked carefully.

“Yeah. I did. Guys I need to go. Or else my dinner would get burnt.” Fluke hurriedly lied as he was in no condition to talk about that topic and hung up.

On the other end of the phone, the three people looked at each other and then at the phone that was hung up.

They were in Prem’s car, searching for Fluke all this while.

“Do you think Fluke is really alright?” Sammy who was holding the phone from the backseat asked.

“He sounded pretty normal to me.” Prem had his hands over the steering wheel even though the car was parked on the roadside.

“I don’t think he is,” Earth said with furrowed brows as he unbuckled the seat belt of the passenger seat.

“So, what she we do now?” Sammy looked at her friends.

“Nothing.”

“Nothing? We are not going to do anything about the situation? We are going to leave him like that?” Sammy was extremely worried about Fluke at this point.

“I agree with Prem on this. We have to let him be. He needs space now.” Earth sighed.

“But, Earth…” Sammy wanted to say something but was interrupted by Earth.

“There is nothing we can do in this matter Sammy. He needs to figure out a solution himself. If he wants to confess his feelings or move on as if nothing ever happened it is his choice to make. He knows that we will be by his side no matter what decision he makes.”

Prem nodded in agreement before starting the car.