230 | Roommates

"AND HERE WE ARE." President Justin Thorndyke walked Max to the far end of the campus. If Max didn't know any better, he would have assumed that this was an old building that the school decided to abandon. Who would have thought that actual students lived here?

     "The dorms were originally called rectories, but the priests in the school changed the name because they got confused. So if you're asking, yes, most of the professors are priests. And they live on campus too," Justin shares.

     "I don't want to sound rude, but this looks terrible," Max then blurts out, making Justin laugh.

     "It was actually a livable house a few years back, but the higher ranks ended up pulling nasty pranks. They'd vandalize the walls, throw rocks at the windows, and would even leave their trash here. It's basically a large garbage bin at this point," Justin explains, almost making Max gag.

     "And the Saints did nothing?"

     "Oh, Sinclaire, you should know better, right? We can't do anything regarding such petty pranks. Well, unless someone does something about it and initiates a plan. I think we can do something about it then," Justice says with a smirk, making Max chuckle.

     "How wicked..."

     "Anyway, let me show you to your room."

     President Justice walks inside Hell Sanctum first as Max follows behind him. As soon as Max entered the dormitory, he immediately covered his nose because of the terrible smell. When they passed by the restroom, he saw that the toilets were clogged and even flooded. That's probably where the stench is coming from.

     "There's no way this place is livable," Max says in disbelief as he looks around the hall. The walls were vandalized, the mahogany floor tiles were sticky, the lights flickered, and there was just dust everywhere he looked.

      Max wasn't the one to complain, but this was just too much. He couldn't believe that he'll be living here for a whole month if he didn't rank up.

     "The white uniforms are required to clean their own dormitories. At first, we did clean, but the higher ranks kept making a mess. The other serfs also didn't care because they assumed they'd rank up and leave eventually. So we eventually gave up, and now it's like this," Justice explains, making Max stop walking when he realizes something he just said.

     "We? You just said we," Max points out, and Justice grins before turning his head to the curious new student.

     "That's right. Like everyone else, I was also a serf. Actually, I was a serf for one and a half years. It was only last year when I became a gaffer, and then during my third year, I ranked up and became the Saints' president," Justice answered, making Max look back at him with shock. He wasn't expecting Justice to be a serf for that long. Max was only a serf for a couple of months before turning into a dweller and eventually a gaffer.

     How did Justice Thorndyke become the president in such a short period? How did he suddenly become a gaffer after being a serf for so long?

     "Now, let's head to the top floor. That's where your room is."

      Max and Justice continued walking up to the third floor. There were still no white uniforms in sight, and the Saints' president explained that most of the students were still asleep at this hour. He just has to prepare for lunch break because that's when things get crazy.

      "Here we are. Room 307. This will be your room," Justice says as he stops right outside a vandalized door before pulling a key out of his pocket and handing it over to Max.