245 | Memphis

"Fontus Gauthier...the one they said was President Janus's bastard son," Vesper answers. But before Elijah could even react to hearing the name, Vesper suddenly pulled out a dagger from his sleeve and threw it just inches away from Elijah's cheek.

     The leader's eyes widened in shock. For a second, he thought Vesper was throwing the sharp knife toward his face, but when he looked back, he saw that someone was actually eavesdropping behind him.

     "Oops, I missed," Vesper says with a grin as a white uniform drops to the floor, holding his bleeding arm.

     The culprit tried to escape, so the leader quickly ran to him, angrily grabbing him by the collar and lifting him up from the floor, ready to interrogate him. But as soon as he stared right into Elijah's face, the white uniform suddenly dropped something on the ground.

     Vesper and Elijah looked down to see what it was, and to their surprise, it was actually a smoke bomb.

     "Shit..."

     Elijah immediately lets go of the white uniform as the bomb explodes just moments after. Smoke instantly engulfed the entire hallway, making it impossible to see. The smoke detector then sets off, and water showers down on them in an instant. Elijah and Vesper covered their mouths while trying to keep their eyes open. But when the smoke cleared, the white uniform was already gone.

     The two were coughing as they tried to stand on the wet floor. A couple of seconds later, the sprinklers eventually stopped as well.

     "W-What the fuck just happened?" Elijah asked in shock, wiping his face while Vesper squeezed the water out from his uniform.

     Vesper was just as stunned as the brotherhood leader, but as he walked towards the dagger he threw at the white uniform earlier to retrieve it, he suddenly spotted something shining on the puddle. Vesper bent over to pick the strange item up. When he saw what it was, his eyes instantly widened in shock.

     It was a metal dart that contained a greenish liquid that Vesper could only assume was poison.

     "Someone was trying to poison you?" Vesper asks out loud, immediately making Elijah snatch the dart from his hand. He stares at it for a while, but when he sees a familiar logo imprinted on it, an angry expression instantly appears on his face.

     "This logo... it's Red Tigers."

     "Red Tigers? You mean your brotherhood?" Vesper asks back.

     "No, Red Tigers was originally from my father. This dart was manufactured at his underground company. The one that sells illegal weapons," Elijah explains, making Vesper start laughing.

     "So someone tried to kill you using your father's own creation? How ironic. And actually almost poetic," Vesper states, but Elijah wasn't buying it. Something wasn't adding up. By how the supposed white uniform was hiding, it was obvious that he wasn't the one being targeted.

     "No. I think it was targeting...you."

     "Memphis! Cinna!" Someone suddenly shouted before Vesper could even react.

     The two turned around and saw the Saints' president, Justice Thorndyke, and the secretary, Perseus Odair, running towards them with three other guards following behind them.

     "Are you two okay? What happened here?" Justice asks while staring at the two students who are now soaking wet.

     Vesper glances at Elijah, who immediately hides the poisoned dart before the two council officers can even see it. While the guards started inspecting the area, Vespers started laughing, confusing them.