Chapter 3: Stocking Up

Zhang Yi's attitude towards Fang Yuqing was extremely indifferent.

Fang Yuqing and Lin Cainong also sensed that something was amiss. However, after mistakenly thinking that Zhang Yi was a hidden rich second-generation, the two not only weren't angered by his attitude but actively approached him.

So what if rich people have a bit of an attitude? That's called having class!

"Oh, Zhang Yi, were you having a meal at this restaurant just now?" Lin Cainong asked casually.

Zhang Yi frowned slightly. This woman wasn't any better than Fang Yuqing; she was also involved in the scheme that led to his death and even intended to break his ribs for soup!

"Yes," Zhang Yi answered coldly, then with his hands in his pockets, he turned and walked toward the supermarket.

Fang Yuqing and Lin Cainong hurriedly followed.

"Zhang Yi, where are you heading?" Fang Yuqing asked, her voice sweet and gentle.

"To the supermarket," Zhang Yi replied, still cold and somewhat impatient.

If he hadn't wanted Fang Yuqing to experience the despair of the apocalypse, he might have killed her on the spot.

Fang Yuqing signaled to Lin Cainong with a look, saying, "It's so coincidental, we're also planning to buy something. Might as well join you!"

Zhang Yi had already figured it out by now. They must have seen him dining lavishly at the Michelin three-star restaurant, thinking he was some invisible rich second-generation, hence the sudden warmth in their attitude.

He couldn't be bothered to explain anything to them and continued walking toward the supermarket. However, the more indifferent he acted, the more Fang Yuqing and Lin Cainong were convinced he was a rich second-generation.

If not, why would he act so arrogantly?

The two followed Zhang Yi closely. Fang Yuqing even walked next to him, occasionally reaching out to touch him, pretending it was unintentional. When he looked at her, she would shyly turn her head away, blushing as if she were genuinely coy.

Zhang Yi sneered inwardly. A green tea bitch – she sure knew how to act. If she went into acting, she'd probably win an Oscar for Best Actress.

Inside the supermarket, Zhang Yi pushed a shopping cart and began loading it with various items. Fang Yuqing and Lin Cainong were left dumbfounded by his actions.

"Zhang Yi, why are you buying so much food? Are you planning a camping trip?" Lin Cainong asked.

"Yes," Zhang Yi replied coldly.

Lin Cainong became suspicious and whispered to Fang Yuqing, "Do rich second-generations eat these things for camping?"

Fang Yuqing, still clinging to the idea that Zhang Yi was wealthy, hesitated but thought of the Michelin three-star meal and didn't want to give up that notion.

She ran to Zhang Yi and said, "Do you need any help?"

With free labor coming to him, Zhang Yi saw an opportunity for revenge.

In his mind, he had one more month to prepare for the impending apocalypse. Creating a perfect refuge for himself wasn't difficult, and he could still obtain supplies from the Walmart warehouse. His plan was to subtly leak information to Fang Yuqing about his stocked supplies and have her come crying

to him when doomsday arrived, begging for help. As long as his safe house was sturdy enough, he could fend off any potential attacks from desperate neighbors, turning the tables on them.

The thought of their desperate faces while he remained in control amused Zhang Yi. Yes, it was indeed a viable option.

Zhang Yi planned to contact a security company to build such a safe house. If that wasn't feasible, he could find a secluded spot in the wilderness to construct an underground shelter. It was always good to have a backup plan.

A sinister smile curled on Zhang Yi's lips. "You two, help me push the carts."

Fang Yuqing eagerly agreed, and Lin Cainong joined in. Though both women were curious about his excessive purchases, they didn't dare question him directly.

In the supermarket, Zhang Yi loaded up on a variety of goods – instant noodles, sausages, self-heating hot pots, condiments – as if preparing for a prolonged period of isolation.

Fang Yuqing and Lin Cainong were puzzled but couldn't resist helping. They pushed the loaded carts alongside Zhang Yi.

"Zhang Yi, were you having a meal with someone earlier?" Fang Yuqing asked with a sweet smile.

Zhang Yi, in a monotone voice, replied, "Can't I eat by myself?"

Fang Yuqing's eyes gleamed, quickly assuming that Zhang Yi was being secretive about some high-profile gathering. "Oh, I thought maybe you were treating someone to a meal, considering how expensive the restaurant was."

Lin Cainong, ever the pragmatic one, added, "Your monthly salary is just a bit over ten thousand. This single meal might cost you half a year's pay."

"Seems like your family leaves you quite a bit of money," Fang Yuqing hinted, trying to probe into his financial situation.

Zhang Yi didn't bother acknowledging them. He arrived at the checkout counter, and with an unblinking gaze, paid a bill that exceeded ten thousand dollars without any hesitation.

In the post-apocalyptic world, the value of these supplies would skyrocket, potentially becoming priceless. Zhang Yi, however, was already making plans for a future where food and resources would be scarce.

Due to the substantial quantity of his purchases, the supermarket generously lent him additional shopping carts. Zhang Yi, unapologetically, made use of the free labor provided by the two women to help carry the loads.

While Fang Yuqing and Lin Cainong complained about the weight and how tired they were, Zhang Yi promised them a lavish meal in return, which instantly reignited their enthusiasm.

Thus, the trio returned to the neighborhood, pushing three fully loaded shopping carts.

Fang Yuqing couldn't help but complain, "Zhang Yi, why are you buying so much? How many people are you planning to feed? Are you holding an event and didn't tell me?"

Zhang Yi sneered, "In unpredictable times, what if the world ends one day? I'm just stockpiling to survive."

He spoke the truth, but Fang Yuqing dismissed it as a joke, laughing, "Oh please, don't be so dramatic! If you don't want to say, it's fine. But you owe me a meal for the favor I did today!"

Zhang Yi smirked, "Sure, let's make it a promise. Next month, when I have time, we'll go out."

Fang Yuqing happily agreed, and Lin Cainong chimed in, "Count me in! We'll have a blast together!"

Despite the skepticism lingering in their minds, Fang Yuqing and Lin Cainong were already looking forward to the promised extravagant meal at a Michelin three-star restaurant. They followed Zhang Yi, pushing the carts filled with supplies, back to the neighborhood.