Chapter 25: Scolding the Old Lady

Zhang Yi sneered. In the previous life, he had underestimated the severity of the snow disaster. Thinking he could sell a big favor to his neighbors, he had shared some of his hoarded supplies. But what happened? Far from receiving gratitude, he ended up being killed and consumed, becoming mere sustenance for others. It could be said that the old woman surnamed Lin bore some responsibility for his death. He curled his lips, lazily sending a voice message. "Well, that's great. Our supplies are running out too. Lin Auntie, when you collect resources, remember to share some with me!" Lin Auntie, infuriated, immediately started cursing in her room. "Spit! Who are you trying to fool? Your house is definitely full of supplies." "Humph, working in the warehouse for so many years, do you think you're clean-handed?" Lin Auntie was confident because Zhang Yi used to help the neighbors buy discounted goods from Walmart's warehouse. Damaged packaging and nearing expiration items were sold at a very low price. As an internal employee, he had the privilege to purchase them first. Sometimes, the warehouse even distributed these goods as employee benefits. Frustrated but undeterred, Lin Auntie forcefully pressed the voice message key. "I told you, it's an extraordinary situation now, and we must use extraordinary means! The snow disaster will pass soon; you don't have to worry. Just let everyone redistribute their resources. It's an official order, and everyone must cooperate! If anyone is selfish and disobeys the organization's arrangements, they will be held accountable!" Zhang Yi chuckled. "Spitting! Representing the organization? Are you treating chicken feathers as arrows?" "You're just a community worker, not even a government employee, let alone a civil servant." "Usually, you can bluff the old folks, but here, trying to act important with me? Dream on!" "Have the guts to act; I'm waiting for you at home!" After thoroughly exposing Lin Auntie's true colors, Zhang Yi decisively hung up and blocked her. He wasn't interested in dealing with this shrewish old woman. This time, Lin Auntie's lungs almost exploded! Zhang Yi had opposed her several times, making her face grind against the ground. How could she endure this? "Zhang Yi, you damned thing! I... I really want to kill you!" Lin Auntie roared furiously. However, she could only curse a couple of times. In fact, given her current situation, she couldn't afford to make a move against Zhang Yi. She thought about kicking him out of the homeowners' chat group, but ultimately, she realized it wouldn't harm him much. She contemplated rallying everyone in the group to condemn Zhang Yi, but that would expose his refusal to contribute resources. Either way, she had no way to deal with him. The more Lin Auntie thought, the angrier she became. But she had no choice; she could only swallow her frustration. For her, the top priority was to continue deceiving others. She had to take advantage of their current confusion before they woke up to reality. This way, she could trick them into giving away their resources! ... Over the next two days, Lin Auntie bluffed and scared her way into obtaining some supplies from several households. However, not everyone was naive. In the face of the apocalypse, everyone prioritized their own survival. Some simply ignored Lin Auntie's requests, while others, more assertive, drove her away when she came knocking. People like Chen Zhenghao and Xu Hao, who were not easy to provoke, she didn't dare to approach. Zhang Yi, through surveillance cameras, observed these events with indifference. He had no interest in meddling in others' affairs. Since the arrival of the snowstorm, it had been five days. Normal households only stored enough supplies for three to five days, and even those who worked in the large warehouse had slightly more. However, due to the severe cold requiring fuel and food for heating, the supplies were depleting faster. In these days, a sense of hostility gradually surfaced in the group chat. Initially, everyone had been patiently waiting for official rescue. However, the lack of warmth and food caused a shift in their mentality. Especially those who had been deceived and had their supplies taken by Lin Auntie began questioning her. They demanded to know how she planned to distribute the collected resources. "@Unit 1502 - Lin Chunxia, Auntie Lin, didn't you promise to distribute the supplies you collected? Our family is out of food. Can you share some with us?" "Yeah, you said it would be a unified distribution to ensure everyone has something to eat!" Amidst the clamor, Lin Auntie seemed to vanish, providing no response. She saw the messages but had no intention of sharing the collected resources. Only she and Zhang Yi truly understood what had happened in the entire building. Outside, chaos reigned. With resources, they could survive; without them, death was imminent. Hugging her grandson, Lin Auntie curled up in a blanket, gritting her teeth and muttering, "The resources I worked so hard to deceive, how could I possibly give them back to you people!"