Chapter 127: Hooked

Zhang Yi ignored Li Jian's request and turned away, leaving the area. Li Jian was a typical idealist, but achieving ideals required strength, not just chanting slogans.
Back at Building 25, he happened to pass by Wang Qiang and Huang Tianfang.Both were smoking cigarettes, almost trying to inhale the entire filter. Upon seeing Zhang Yi, they approached with eager expressions."Zhang Ge, aren't you going out today? Or did we collect all the food yesterday?"Wang Qiang walked over, full of enthusiasm, almost looking like Zhang Yi's cousin to an uninformed observer."I'll go out later."Zhang Yi smiled.Huang Tianfang also approached, grinning, "Zhang Yi is the biggest contributor in our neighborhood! Not like these useless people," he pointed at the residents shoveling snow, "can't even do a decent job, always asking for food! Hmph!"Zhang Yi chuckled, "If they can't work, you guys should teach them!"Wang Qiang, looking at the obedient residents he had trained, scornfully sneered, "They all have two arms and two legs. What's so hard? Just give them a beating, and they'll behave!"He then turned to Zhang Yi with a playful smile, "Zhang Ge, I'm not used to smoking this Golden Wan. Can you get me Yuxi next time?"Huang Tianfang said, "Yuxi? Why not Zhonghua? Just having something to smoke is good; don't burden Zhang Yi."Zhang Yi laughed and said, "It's not a big problem. I'll help you find some next time. Shouldn't be too hard.""Besides, at this time, although cigarettes are precious, there's no distinction between valuable and worthless. If you make me find Yuxi or Zhonghua for you, it's not a big deal. But if you ask for Dujiang or Hong Sanhuan, I might not find them!"The three laughed heartily, and the atmosphere was very harmonious."By the way, I'll show you later. If there's good wine, I'll bring you a bottle or two. In this cold weather, a drink warms the body!"This statement excited Huang Tianfang and Wang Qiang.Huang Tianfang loved drinking, and Wang Qiang had decent alcohol tolerance. It wasn't just about enjoying the drink; in this weather, white wine could also help them keep warm—a legitimate and good thing!"Zhang Ge, you're truly generous! In the past, I was overthinking. From now on, if there's anything we can help you with, just let us know!"Wang Qiang gave Zhang Yi a thumbs-up, genuinely moved.Huang Tianfang glanced at him, not falling behind, "Zhang Yi, you are our benefactor! I can't repay you for saving my life, so I'll entrust my 140 kilograms to you from now on!"Zhang Yi's face showed a warm smile, and he patted their shoulders."Look at you saying that. From now on, we are the best partners! We're all working together for a better survival in the apocalypse, and only through cooperation can we achieve a win-win situation.""If you need anything, just let me know! If I can fulfill it, I will."After saying that, Zhang Yi pointed outside, "Well, I'll be heading out now!"Wang Qiang and Huang Tianfang hurriedly said, "You're busy, you're busy!"Zhang Yi nodded with a smile and went to fetch his vehicle, leaving Yue Lu District.Huang Tianfang and Wang Qiang watched Zhang Yi's retreating figure, their eyes becoming slightly complicated.The two exchanged a glance, not in total harmony, then turned and left.On the way back, Wang Qiang pondered with his head down, "Why did Zhang Yi suddenly become so good? Giving cigarettes and even voluntarily bringing us alcohol.""Could it be that I misunderstood him before?"He frowned, carefully thinking it over.He and Zhang Yi had no previous contact or conflicts. After the apocalypse, it was his coveting of Zhang Yi's snowmobile that led to a failed theft and an ambush in the snow, followed by Zhang Yi's counterattack against their Wolf Gang.Wang Qiang slapped his forehead, "Hey! So to speak, it's not that others aren't righteous, but I started off on the wrong foot. This Zhang Yi is okay, we can get along!"A cruel smile gradually appeared at the corner of his mouth."I like straightforward people!"...On the other side, Huang Tianfang was also contemplating Zhang Yi's change in attitude."Why is he suddenly being friendly to me? Logically, with his strength, he shouldn't be afraid of me.""In that case, he's probably genuinely seeking peace, not wanting to fight anymore. After all, he's just one person, and his subordinates aren't entirely loyal to him.""If the fighting continues, he might die someday. So he's afraid!"After pondering for a while, Huang Tianfang thought he understood Zhang Yi's change in attitude.He couldn't help but show a somewhat triumphant smile."This is good news!"...After coming out, Zhang Yi went to the library.The book "Norwegian Wood" was quite interesting. Haruki Murakami's portrayal of lingering, faint sorrow represented the post-war mourning culture.Zhang Yi leisurely read the entire book, gently closing it and placing it back on the shelf.It wasn't that he was being affected; it was just a rare occasion where he felt like reading. He might not have the same mindset in the future. There was no need to move the entire library back; it would just collect dust in the alternate space.Zhang Yi belonged to the kind of person who, once at a bookstore, wanted to buy every book but lost interest once brought home.He raised his wrist, flipping out the Rolex watch from his sleeve.It was already four o'clock in the afternoon. Normally, he would go collect some food, then return to the neighborhood.Muttering to himself, Zhang Yi said, "I don't know when those guys will fall into the trap. I must slowly lower their guard, then find a suitable opportunity to strike."Zhang Yi left the library, collected the necessary supplies from the supermarket, and then rode his snowmobile back to the neighborhood.Among the people who came to collect supplies today, there were a few more building leaders.Wang Qiang and Huang Tianfang were among the crowd, eagerly watching the snakeskin bag at Zhang Yi's feet.Their goal was naturally the cigarettes and white wine that Zhang Yi promised to bring them.The reason for personally coming to collect was to monopolize these items.Otherwise, these rare and good things could easily cause conflicts between them and their subordinates.Wang Qiang and Huang Tianfang deeply understood this. When they got the cigarettes yesterday, their subordinates couldn't control themselves.Seeing them personally come to collect food, a faint smile appeared on Zhang Yi's lips."Good, everyone line up in order and come forward to collect the food!"When the leader of Building 1 approached, he suddenly whispered to Zhang Yi, "Zhang Yi, you can bring cigarettes for Wang Qiang and Huang Tianfang, can you also bring some for us?"