Chapter 197: Xu Chunlei's Resolve

Xu Chunlei was in a bit of a sorry state today. There was something strange in his heart, an indescribable feeling of oppression.
Was it his fault that led to today's outcome? If so, he had reminded Xu Dongsheng many times, and in the end, he was the one who intervened to save the remaining people. Without his help, given Zhang Yi's mysterious and powerful style, no one from Xu Family Village would have survived!But if it wasn't his fault, if he had gone with everyone at that time, the casualties wouldn't be as severe as they are now.With this strange mood, Xu Chunlei walked slowly back step by step."Grandpa San entrusted me with protecting the Xu family before he died. What can I do? If the God of Death comes, I'm not his opponent. I might have to run away when the time comes. I thought awakening special abilities would make me like a hero, but why are so many troublesome things finding me? I just want to be a carefree person!"Xu Chunlei couldn't figure it out.However, as he dejectedly returned to his doorstep, he saw a girl waiting there.The girl was about eighteen or nineteen years old, wearing a long white down jacket with brown fur on the edges of the hat. Beneath the hat was a small face about the size of a palm.When she saw Xu Chunlei, she walked quickly towards him."Are you Brother Chunlei?"Xu Chunlei's heart thumped. As a recluse, he had a natural barrier when it came to interacting with real-life women. But hearing the girl's sweet voice, his mind went blank."Uh... I am Brother Chunlei. Who... who are you?"Although they were from the same village, there were still many unfamiliar faces.The girl smiled sweetly, saying, "I'm Xu Lili! Thank you for saving my dad today."Gratitude and appreciation shone in Xu Lili's eyes."My dad said if it wasn't for you, they would all have died there."A glimmer of light appeared in Xu Chunlei's confused eyes.He was not a criminal; he was a hero. He should be a hero!"Haha, it's something I should do."Xu Lili smiled and said, "My dad is not convenient to come over now, so let me thank you on his behalf."Apologizing, she continued, "I'm sorry; there's nothing in our house to give you. I came empty-handed."Xu Chunlei waved his hands, "No, no. We're from the same village; there's no need to be polite. If you need anything in the future, just come find me."After a brief chat, Xu Lili waved and disappeared into the snowy landscape.Watching her back, Xu Chunlei's heart raced wildly. Even though he hadn't seen the girl's face clearly, he felt like he had already fallen deeply in love with her."Xu Lili? Not very familiar, probably from one of the five branches?!"This self-proclaimed absolute recluse, who claimed he would never be attracted to real-life women, immediately betrayed his principles.He looked up, clenched his fist firmly, and said, "I will protect this family in the future! I must provide a safe environment for her and the child."Back home, Xu Chunlei contemplated how to deal with the upcoming crisis.The two encounters made him deeply aware of Zhang Yi's terror, especially his pure killing intent, without the slightest hesitation.The traps and weapons he set were all aimed at killing as many people as possible.Therefore, Xu Chunlei instinctively imagined Zhang Yi as a bloodthirsty demon."This time, he must be furious. Maybe he'll attack Xu Dong Village in the future and kill everyone!""I promised Grandpa San to protect the village, and now that I have love, I can't just watch him destroy my happiness."But what to do?Xu Chunlei dared not confront Zhang Yi head-on.Until now, he had never personally killed anyone. At most, he used ice and snow attacks during battles with neighboring villages.Thinking about it, he believed there was only one solution to this matter.And that was negotiation!Xu Chunlei was excited at this idea."I'm a genius! I can come up with such a dangerous idea. But for the sake of protecting the entire Xu family and... hehe, also Xu Lili, I'm willing to take the risk!"He quickly sat down at the computer, searching for Zhang Yi's contact information."Lili must like me, right? Yes, it must be like this!""I saved her father's life; according to the development in TV dramas, she must have a secret crush on me.""Then, let's make her love me more!"This chubby guy was indulging in wild fantasies.In reality, the girl just came to thank him and build a good relationship with this extraordinary person.But being an otaku, he rarely had the chance to interact with real women. Even if he did, he would be too nervous to speak.So, if a girl showed even a slight hint of favor, he would already be planning their future grandchildren's names.In short, the girl just gave a friendly greeting, and he was already preparing to unleash his ultimate move....The next morning, Zhang Yi came out and carefully cleaned up the destroyed traps around him. The most powerful landmine and explosive traps had been triggered, but there were still traps like animal snares and nail boards scattered everywhere.In addition, there were many bodies on the ground, some intact, others shattered. Some even had blood and flesh hanging from the ceiling, looking disgusting.Adhering to the principle of not wasting anything, Zhang Yi buried them all in the snow.Then, he rearranged the explosive traps.The most powerful explosive landmine was gone, and only one was left on the west road.After spending several hours, Zhang Yi finally reorganized the traps on the road.The people from Xu Dong Village probably wouldn't dare to approach anymore.These traps were left behind, waiting for the possible arrival of the second wave of enemies.It was ironic that those from Xu Dong Village didn't even reach the villa. Their threat to Zhang Yi was almost zero—except for the ice and snow ability user.Thinking of that ice and snow ability user, Zhang Yi still admired him somewhat.In certain aspects, that person was quite similar to him—he was afraid of death.From beginning to end, the person kept a sufficient distance from him. When he realized he was not an opponent, he decisively fled to a safe area.Moreover, the ice and snow abilities were too practical!Both offensive and defensive, with the ability to change the terrain and create widespread ice and snow effects.Damn, it was like an ice mage in an online game!"I have to find an opportunity to kill him in the future! This kind of person could become a big problem if he grows stronger.""Since we can't be friends, treat him as an enemy, and he must be eliminated in advance!"