Chapter 73: Calculating Mom

After a while, Zhang Yi heard a knock on the door. Following that, Uncle You's voice came through.

"Zhang Yi, it's Uncle You. Are you home?"

He habitually glanced outside through the surveillance.

However, soon, Zhang Yi frowned. The person at the door wasn't just Uncle You; there was also a woman holding a child. Although she was bundled up in a thick down jacket, Zhang Yi knew she must be the mom, Xie Limei.

"What is she doing here?"

While Zhang Yi had a good impression of Uncle You, he had no acquaintance with Xie Limei. Also, based on his experience from the previous life, he always felt that this woman was not simple.

Zhang Yi stood up from the chair and walked to the door. Zhou Keren just glanced but did nothing, knowing that in this house, Zhang Yi was the master.

Zhang Yi reached the door but didn't open it. "Is it Uncle You?" He asked knowingly.

Uncle You replied, "Yes, it's me."

At that moment, Xie Limei, who stood behind Uncle You, spoke up hastily, "Zhang Yi, our Sugar Baby has a high fever. Can you help her?"

Her voice was tinged with a crying tone. Zhang Yi took out a box of acetaminophen suspension and a box of Xiaokuihua cold medicine, then threw them out through the shooting holes.

"Quickly give the medicine to the child! Being sick at this time is not a trivial matter."

Uncle You hurriedly picked up the medicine on the floor, his eyes filled with excitement. "Zhang Yi, thank you, thank you so much!"

Xie Limei took the medicine from him. Uncle You wanted to bring her in, but there was a strange gleam in her eyes.

She spoke, "Zhang Yi, I have a favor to ask. Could you let the baby stay at your place for a while? I know your house has a stove and is warmer than ours!"

"With the baby being sick now, I'm worried she might catch a cold. Can you help us out?"

Uncle You was taken aback. Xie Limei hadn't mentioned this to him before coming. He felt embarrassed as he found himself caught in the middle, facing a situation he hadn't discussed with Zhang Yi beforehand.

Inside the room, Zhang Yi, upon hearing Xie Limei's request, smirked slightly.

Taking advantage?

"Is it Sister Xie? I'm sorry, but in this critical situation, I can't allow anyone to enter. Besides, our coal is running out, and to be honest, the temperature inside is not much better than outside."

Zhang Yi would not be easily moved by her words. Xie Limei's plea, in the guise of taking care of the child, could also serve as an excuse for her to enter.

It wasn't just about the child; she might use the pretext of taking care of the child to enter as well. If she had any bad intentions, Zhang Yi would need to be on guard 24/7.

He wasn't willing to go through that trouble.

Hearing Zhang Yi's words, Uncle You nodded repeatedly. He was feeling quite awkward being in the middle of this situation, but gratitude towards Zhang Yi prevented him from further troubling him.

"Exactly, Zhang Yi has been kind enough to us! Otherwise, who would give us medicine? Do you know how hard it is to get medicine now?"

Xie Limei bit her lip, seemingly contemplating her words. However, Uncle You, with less thick skin, couldn't bear it. He took her arm and said seriously, "Let's go, don't trouble others too much. Zhang Yi has been very kind to us. Don't overdo it!"

Seeing Uncle You getting a bit angry, Xie Limei immediately changed to a pitiful expression.

"I know, I don't want to do this either. It's all for the child."

Uncle You said to Zhang Yi inside the room, "Sorry, Zhang Yi. Don't mind her; you've done enough for us this time!"

Zhang Yi also said, "It's okay; everyone can understand this mood. Let's support each other!"

Through the surveillance, Zhang Yi saw Uncle You taking Xie Limei and the child downstairs.

He returned to the dining table and said to Zhou Keren, "This woman is a bit troublesome!"

Zhou Keren dismissed it, saying, "Aren't there plenty of people like her?"

Zhang Yi shrugged, "You're right, but I have a good relationship with Uncle You. I'm afraid she might disturb the relationship between us."

Uncle You was the ideal assistant selected by Zhang Yi, and he didn't want any interference.

Zhang Yi became more vigilant towards Xie Limei. At least, she harbored some desires for Zhang Yi's house and supplies.