Chapter 24: Aunt Lin's Threat

While Zhang Yi played games and enjoyed imported snacks, his life was comfortable and satisfying.

Throughout Tianhai City, and indeed in over 99% of the world, water and electricity had come to a standstill.

The water issue was somewhat easier to address. Those unable to endure could go outside to dig snow for water.

However, the power outage was the most unbearable thing!

Modern people's bodies were delicate, and living in temperatures dozens of degrees below freezing could be life-threatening.

Yet, it wasn't entirely the authorities' fault. Most power stations couldn't operate simply because the workers couldn't make it to their jobs.

Zhang Yi recalled that there would still be a limited power supply each day. The authorities didn't want the entire population to perish. However, relying on mid-21st-century nuclear power plants and new energy generation facilities, the electricity provided was quite limited. At most, they could charge their phones or boil some hot water.

As neighbors in the community lamented their plight in the homeowners' group, fear compelled them to seek comfort in solidarity, hoping someone could bring them a glimmer of hope.

Chen Zhenghao, whose leg Zhang Yi had broken, was now struggling at home, almost freezing to death. His existing injuries, combined with living in extremely low temperatures, intensified his suffering.

As for his companions, the situation was even more dire. Although Zhang Yi had only soaked them with water, in this temperature, there was no means of heating. Indoor temperatures gradually approached the outdoor temperature, reaching minus fifty or sixty degrees Celsius. Several people developed high fevers, with the lowest reaching 39°C, and some even going above 40°C.

Lacking awareness and preparation, they didn't have ibuprofen at home, and with this weather, going out to buy medicine was impossible. So, they could only endure.

This was why Zhang Yi didn't shoot them immediately. Letting them freeze to death day by day was much more satisfying than killing them outright.

Zhang Yi sat on the carpet, engrossed in his game. Outside, the wind howled, carrying heavy snowflakes.

While the world outside was freezing, his room was a warm 27°C, well-lit, and abundantly stocked with food and entertainment. If there were any drawbacks, it was the absence of a woman to accompany Zhang Yi. However, he was not the kind of fool who lets desires cloud his judgment. Having experienced setbacks with women in his previous life, he prioritized his safety and quality of life.

Unless it was absolutely safe, he wouldn't allow anyone into his secure abode.

In times of the apocalypse, human hearts were immeasurable. He had witnessed a woman smashing her husband to death over a pack of instant noodles.

At this moment, Zhang Yi's phone lit up again.

Curious, he picked it up and found that Aunt Lin had tagged everyone in the homeowners' group.

"Due to the current snowstorm, everyone's life is greatly affected."

"According to official notices, this snow will last for a relatively short period."

"To help everyone get through this difficult time with dignity, the neighborhood committee will collect each household's supplies for unified distribution."

"This is an official order, and everyone must cooperate! Otherwise, any household acting selfishly and not complying with the organization's arrangements will be held accountable afterward!"

"Don't think you're capable and defy our organization. Remember, each of your households has its vulnerabilities!"

Zhang Yi chuckled.

It was the same old routine as in his previous life.

As a member of the neighborhood committee, Aunt Lin had slightly more information channels than ordinary people. She probably knew about the impending apocalypse and the city's official standstill.

Therefore, she resorted to deception and intimidation, trying to get everyone to give her their supplies.

However, Aunt Lin's methods were far from clever. After all, she was just an average, middle-aged woman.

Actually, smart people could easily see through her words.

Even so, in the building where over fifty households lived, there were bound to be some timid souls who, out of fear, would heed Aunt Lin's words.

Zhang Yi had no intention of getting involved. He just wanted to watch the show.

Sure enough, this time, because of Aunt Lin's strong words about confiscating everyone's supplies, some people were pushed to their limits.

Wang Min, living on the 15th floor and also Zhang Yi's colleague, was a thrifty housewife who often brought home items from the warehouse.

This was known among the neighbors.

With snow blocking the doors, there was no way her family could escape confiscation.

Wang Min said, "With the current snowstorm, there's no way to go out. Everyone's supplies are barely enough for themselves. Wanting to collect and redistribute them is outrageous!"

Another homeowner, Sun Zhichao, added, "Life is hard for everyone now. Keeping some food is not easy. Confiscating it is just going too far!"

Aunt Lin gritted her teeth, vigorously pressing the voice message button with her fingers.

"I've said it before, this is an extraordinary situation, and we must use extraordinary means!"

"The snow disaster will soon pass. You don't have to worry. It's just redistributing supplies among us."

"At times like this, many households don't have enough to eat. Are you being so selfish?"

Some households had stockpiled supplies, so naturally, those lacking in resources would come forward to support Aunt Lin.

"That's right, we're all neighbors. Helping each other during times like this is normal, right?"

"It's just some food and drinks. We're not unable to afford them on regular days. It's just a special situation these two days!"

"This is an organizational decision. If you don't comply, the consequences won't be something anyone can bear."

In the WeChat group, two factions began arguing.

Zhang Yi remained silent, and the so-called White Lotus Flower, Fang Yuqing, and Lin Caining also said nothing.

They still had quite a bit of supplies in their homes. However, with their personalities, they would never give them up.

Zhang Yi's desire to watch the drama was soon interrupted.

Although he didn't speak, Aunt Lin took the initiative to send him a private message.

"Xiao Zhang, you work at the warehouse, and your house must have a lot of food and drinks, right?"

"I remember you bought three large cars full of things last time!"

"Now, we're facing difficulties, and it's time for you to contribute."

"Don't worry; once the snow disaster is over, we'll definitely return everything to you. Everyone will remember your kindness."

Aunt Lin had initially built momentum in the WeChat group, creating panic among some timid individuals. Now, she was starting to make individual breakthroughs.

As long as she could deceive one household, she would gain some supplies, allowing her and her grandson to survive a few more days!

And now, Walmart's warehouse manager, Zhang Yi, had also become Aunt Lin's target.