Chapter 142: Surgery Begins

Zhang Yian comforted Uncle You for a while. At this moment, Uncle You meant something different to Zhang Yian. His body had undergone mutation, and the type of ability was unknown. According to Zhou Kuer's description and current observations, it should be related to enhanced physical abilities. This was crucial for Zhang Yian. What he needed was a reliable... well, to put it bluntly, a combination of a powerhouse and a tank.

"Take good care of your injuries; you don't need to worry about anything else right now," Zhang Yian reassured. Uncle You weakly replied, "I can't, I feel like I have no strength in my whole body, and I can't even lift my arms."

"If this continues, I don't know how long I'll trouble you," Zhang Yian knew it was the effect of muscle relaxants. "It's okay; just focus on recovering. I've got other things covered."

Uncle You looked gratefully at Zhang Yian and nodded. Beside them, Xie Limei heard this and quickly spoke up, "Zhang Yian, you're really good to my husband. Our family of three doesn't know how to thank you!"

"We'll rely on you in the future!"

Uncle You blushed, weakly saying, "Amei, you can't always trouble others. Wait until I recover, and I can take care of you."

Xie Limei placed her hand on his shoulder, saying with a hint of grievance, "A hundred days of injury recovery, you've been shot! When will you get better? Even if you recover, your body won't be the same as before. What can you do?"

"Zhang Yian is so capable. If he wants to take care of us, why complain? Isn't that wasting his goodwill?" Uncle You blushed even more; he was not good with words and didn't know how to retort to Xie Limei's words.

Zhang Yian smiled slightly, "What Sister Xie said is right. From now on, I'll take care of the life of your family of three."

Xie Limei's eyes lit up, excitedly saying, "Zhang Yian, this is your promise! Don't go back on your word!"

Zhang Yian nodded with a smile, "Of course, I, Zhang Yian, keep my promises and never go back on my word!"

Uncle You felt embarrassed, "Zhang Yian, I..."

Zhang Yian stopped Uncle You from continuing, "Take care of your injuries!"

After saying that, Zhang Yian stood up to leave. Before he reached the door, he silently counted in his mind: 3, 2...

Before he could reach "1," Xie Limei's voice interrupted, "Zhang Yian, don't rush. Big sister has something to tell you!"

Zhang Yian's lips curled slightly. Xie Limei had been in this room for a day. Although he provided food and hot water, people always took advantage of the situation, and she would undoubtedly have more demands. Moreover, when she came, she didn't bring any living necessities for her and the child. She had to go back to get some things.

Zhang Yian turned his head, smiling, "Sister Xie, what's the matter?"

Xie Limei said, "Zhang Yian, we've been here for a day. The phone is out of battery and can't be charged. The baby's diapers need to be changed. Can you help big sister get them?"

Zhang Yian sighed helplessly, "Sister Xie, I've been busy all day. You know, I'm fighting every day. It's not just physically tiring; I also need rest."

"Besides, I'm not familiar with Uncle You's house or your house. Why don't you go get them yourself?"

After hearing this, Xie Limei hesitated for a moment. She turned to look at Uncle You on the bed, feeling somewhat relieved. Playfully, she stared at Zhang Yian and said, "When sister comes back, you must not refuse to let her in!"

Zhang Yian said, "Hey, look at what you're saying! Am I that kind of person? Uncle You is still here. If I don't open the door for you, what kind of person would I be?"

Xie Limei smiled cunningly and suddenly handed the baby in her arms to Zhang Yian. "Alright then, you help me hold the child for a while! I'll be right back!"

Thinking that Zhang Yian and Zhou Kuer couldn't take care of a child, she believed that as long as she left the child, Zhang Yian would have to let her in. Zhang Yian saw through her little scheme clearly and sneered inwardly. What, do you think I can't abandon this child? Outwardly, he smiled and said, "No problem, but Sister Xie, you'd better come back quickly. I'm afraid I won't be able to take care of this child properly."

Proudly, Xie Limei smiled, "Don't worry; I don't want to stay outside either. I won't leave this good place voluntarily!"

She glanced at the comfortable room and looked satisfied, as if she was appraising her new home. Zhang Yian opened the door for Xie Limei, and she left.

After closing the door, Zhang Yian looked down at the baby in the swaddle. It was a white and tender baby, with skin as smooth as water. Seeing the child, Zhang Yian felt a touch in his heart. He couldn't help but reach out and touch the baby's little face. It was cool, like a piece of tender and cool jelly.

Taking a deep breath, Zhang Yian still couldn't bring himself to harm a child. "Find a woman to adopt you later."

Zhang Yian took out his phone, sent a message to Xu Hao, and then sat down with the child, chatting with Uncle You.

...

After leaving Zhang Yian's house, Xie Limei suddenly felt a bone-chilling cold. She shivered and quickly put on her hat, sticking her hands into her pockets.

"So cold, so cold!" She turned and looked at the thick door of Zhang Yian's house, her eyes filled with envy and longing.

"It turns out that this room is so warm. Compared to outside, it's like an ice hell!" Xie Limei thought about living here with her baby, and her determination not to leave strengthened. "My baby can only grow up healthy here."

Thinking of her child growing up, a smile appeared on Xie Limei's face. However, the cold outside brought her back to reality. She hurriedly hugged her arms and ran downstairs.

Just as she reached Uncle You's door and took out the keys to open it, a figure appeared behind her.

Xu Hao held a blood-stained kitchen knife in his right hand and chopped it down towards her neck!

"Spurt—"

Blood gushed out like a spring. Xie Limei, with a puzzled look, fell to the ground, her wide-open eyes filled with fear of death and concern for her child.

Xu Hao walked over, worried that Xie Limei wasn't dead enough, and quickly delivered a few more blows.

Only when he was sure that Xie Limei showed no signs of life did he nod in satisfaction and quickly leave the scene.

Back at Zhang Yian's house, he held the child in his arms, sitting by Uncle You's sickbed, and said with a smile, "I've figured it out. I'll let Sister Xie and the child stay here. When you recover, and the child grows up, we can move back."